Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

First pics with my 30D

Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotrice has a lot of good suggestions I'll have to keep in mind myself.

I would say that parking parallel to the background like you did, then shooting at an angle makes it impossible to put the background out of focus while the car is in focus. If you shoot the car at an angle, park so it isn't parallel to the background.

In addition, the mottled light and shadow pattern from the sun shining through trees is less than ideal. If you look at gotrice's shots, the lighting is uniform across the background and across the car. You might have to plan when to shoot.

Shadows and colors are harsher in the middle part of the day. Shooting either in early morning or late in the evening is generally preferable to shooting at any other part of the day. Colors appear more saturated on overcast days, but bright things like chrome appear more muted. A blue car with red calipers might look great on an overcast day, but a black car with chrome wheels will probably look better on a clearer day.

It usually makes a better picture when the object of focus isn't centered. Usually, putting the front of a car roughly a third of the way to one side is better than having it smack in the middle.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 AM
hyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what I'll do is try to put into practice the advice given on this thread. I'll go back to that location and try again