Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Tracking options

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BowlofRice,Jan 11 2011, 11:50 AM
My other option is go to Spokane and track on their Friday skills and HPDE weekend.
This is an excellent beginner option. You'll have the same instructor for the full HPDE weekend. The Friday skills day is usually for returning drivers though. Most of this club's track heads have gone to this school multiple times. These are the same instructors as the Proformance School at Pacific Raceways, but at half the cost.

Again, I recommend starting with Autox and then try the PGP lapping days. This is the cheapest escalation path. I wish PGP was an option when I was starting out.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll bite the bullet and just use annual leave at work to do a couple lapping days. I hope they start doing weekends! Seems to be the best choice without modifying my car as you've suggested. I'll probably do the skills class with the PCA guys next month in Bremerton too.

After I feel comfortable I'll make the trek to Spokane and get instruction with Scott Adare's group.

Thanks Mike. You saved me a lot of money! I didn't really want to get seats or a harness. The hard dog roll hoop was for my own personal safety as I think I'm a little taller than the stock roll hoops.

My track experience:

I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on the track crack pipe. I have relatively small driving experience. Started with "karting" at Family Fun center and found out that it was too slow and spent my paychecks thereafter racing at Sykart eventually earning a spot in the 9hp kart back in 2002! Got a MKII N/A MR2 and did 2-3 or auto-x up at Paine field. Afterwards I didn't do much racing till Sykart got reconfigured and was able to get a 33.8 while weighing 245 back in 2008. Now with my current s2000 I did a Time Attack a couple months back at PGP and now I'm super hooked!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Oh Jerry, I know you said I wouldn't need to modify my car for auto-x or PGP but do you think I need to upgrade my pads?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BowlofRice,Jan 11 2011, 09:53 PM
Oh Jerry, I know you said I wouldn't need to modify my car for auto-x or PGP but do you think I need to upgrade my pads?
I'd normally suggest that Street pads should be sufficient for the few first track days. Since you have some background, it would be a good idea to switch to a different brake compound and move to DOT4 brake fluid. Swapping between street and track pads may become a necessary habit. I used to drive with track pads on public roads out of laziness. A path I don't recommend unless you are prepared to put up with a great deal of screeching noise, copious brake dust, and the middle pedal being useless until the pads reach their operational temperature range. The compromise brake pad compounds are just that, all the annoyances of the track pads and they still overheat on vigorous lapping days.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

I have mentally prepared myself for bleeds and pad changes the day before an event. Hopefully I follow through. Right now I run the valvoline synpower dot3/4 fluid. I may switch to ate superblue if I hit the moment that I experience brake fade. Thinking carbotech xp8 or axxis ultimates, but will have to do more google fu on the forums to be sure.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM

XP10 will be minimum for fronts. I eventually settled on XP12's front XP8's or XP10's on the rear. I'm a habitual trail braker and preferred a 12/8 combo. Your results may vary. I have no experience with the XP16.

A very good alternative were the Cobalt range of products. I haven't used their product current line up, but was happy with their track level pads before.

Axxis ULT's are effectively street pads but supported by some silly marketing claims. Folks will buy things simply because of groupthink. My recommendation is to leave these to the posuers.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 AM

ATE Superblue and Motul 600 are both a good value for brake fluid. You *should* fully flush the system every 6 months when using DOT4 fluid. Leverage the cheaper products if you are starting this habit. Cost becomes a problem quickly and they both work great.

Valvoline Synpower was discontinued in 2008. It might be wise to make the switch.

Generally, you want to avoid the DOT5 fluids. The majority will compromise passenger car brake lines with prolonged use.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Yikes! I guess I wasn't getting what I thought at autozone. Maybe it's called something else. I'm at 8 months since my last flush so now seems to be a good time to switch. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Could be old product. It's not the end of the world. The car still stops right?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Yup still stops pretty well.

Quick Reply: Tracking options