Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Track Time..how to get it

Old 07-30-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a good talk with the guy at Carbotech (can't remember his name now). I initially wanted to order a set of the Panther Pluses but after I answered a series of his questions, he recommended that I get the Panther XP's. I think his key question that determined if I should use the Plus or the XP was if I planned on swapping the pads for track events - which I said yes. Carbotech seems to think that with a full weight S2000 driving on faster tracks (like PIR, PR, SRP), the XPs would hold up better.

I can't disagree with him since I was very happy with the XP's performance at PR. They had less dust that Porterfields I've used before, felt better at the pedal, didn't have any glazing problems, and were more than fine driving on the street to and back from the track. My only complaint is that they squeal a lot on the street before optimal temps are reached.

From reading about pads on this forum in the past, it seems that you can't go wrong with Carbotech Plus or XPs. I had a great experience talking with the guy at Carbotech and he got my pads out to me intime for my event (FedEX 3 day at a reasonable rate). He even automatically gave me a 10% discount for owning a Honda! (some Honda Tech discount). I think if you talk to him and let him know what you're doing with the car, he'll be able to give you a good recommendation based on your driving style, tracks you plan to run, how reluctant you are in swapping pads, your tolerance for squeaking and dust.. etc.

The Carbotech XP has been my best set of pads this season... and between the two cars, I've gone through 9 or 10 sets this year already.

I agree with Ted that there is no "compromise pad". On the street, nothing beats a nice set of stock pads. They're cheap, quiet, don't dust very much, and last forever.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to be switching between street and track pads, don't mess around with a street/race pad, go full race. The compromise pads are not up to heavy track use. After you've done a track day or two you'll be going fast enough to crumble the compromise pads. And the race pads aren't so evil that you can't drive to/from the track on them. I'm using Porterfield R4 pads now. High friction level, lots of initial bite, good track pad. Not sure if the Panter Plus are compromise pads or not.

Probably not necessary for your first track day, but think about changing your brake fluid too.

- Michael
Old 07-30-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MSRS2K
[B]If you're going to be switching between street and track pads, don't mess around with a street/race pad, go full race.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:31 PM

You should probably think about getting some fresh fluid in there, it really should be done annually unless you boil it, then more like each time you boil it.

Derek has posted some god info on the Carbotech pads. They have a new XP compound out now which is supposed to be the cats meow (sorry, bad pun). None of the Panther pads (plus, XP8, or XP9) are compromise pads. They are intended for track use. The plus pads are not willing to bite until they get heat into them, like a little brake drag to the first stop sign when you leave in the morning. If you don't know they are in there, it can be pretty dangerous on the street. People do use them on the street though.

Carbotech makes another new pad called the Bobcat, and it is a street/autocross pad. You will kill these on the track quickly, as well as probably a set of rotors.

Another pad I have started to carry is the Performance Friction line, and they make the S2000 pad in the 97 compound. These are pretty expensive, but they are extremely good pads. PF makes the pads for most race series up through Nascar and CART.

If you want pricing from me, you can PM me.

Jim
Old 07-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JHill
[B]It is probably too small for you then.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:27 AM

Here's a "me-too" post.

Earlier this year, I also did some research on getting street/track pad, since I wanted to be lazy and not have to swap pads in/out for every track event, and I knew my stock pads would not hold up at Thunderhill. I got the Brakeman #3 pads and they held up great with especially hard braking on Turns 10 and 14, and work just fine on the street. After several track days and 3000 miles street driving I still have a little under 50% left.

BUT...I'm fed-up with the dust buildup on my wheels (just 20 miles stop-n-go driving will build up a grey coat), and the annoying squealing everytime I apply the brakes.

Once the summer track-season is done, or I've used up the pads, I'm going back to stock pads for street-use, and swap in race pads just for track use. For me, the tedious part is jacking up the car and getting the wheels off/on. The calipers are a cinch.

I also won't be wasting $250+ worth of pads for just street driving.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Update - (it's vain of me to assume anyone cares, but i'm a narcissistic a-hole...what can i say )
So i'm going to stick with stock pads for wednesday...I'm not that fast anyway.
I bought a helmet:

It seemed like a nice helmet. I was more then I wanted to spend, but it seems like it's worth it.

Anyway, anyone else going to be out at PIR on wednesday?
Old 08-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice helmet. I was considering the Predator, but couldn't pass up the deal on Jims G-Force helmet. Thanks Jim!
Old 08-19-2003, 04:43 PM

kinda off topic.
How do you pronounce Bieffe? The dude at the race shop pronounced "B-F-A" almost like an acronym.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brantshali
[B]Nice helmet.

Quick Reply: Track Time..how to get it