Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Track Time..how to get it

Old 07-30-2003, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need some help from guys that spend a good amount of time on the track.
I live in Portland (Beaverton actually...just bought a house..woo hoo). I have been to PIR once last year and would like to go some more. I did the ProDrive course. They have a deal where if you do their class twice ($400 a pop includes instructor the whole time, 4 - 20 minute sessions and auto-x), then you go out and run by yourself during their classes for like ~170. (i can't remember the exact amount)

Is this a good deal? I don't have much experience, but would like to get out to the track more. What are other good ways for people that are inexperienced to get track time? I would like to spend as little as possible too!! (I sound like a stupid geico commercial)

edit: another question. Can someone recommend a good helmet? I don't want to spend an ass load, but I know that I shouldn't cheap out on something this important. (kinda like a brake system...different thread!! )
Old 07-30-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the Track Event Schedule? It's over here, and I try to list prices:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=98084

$170 for a track day isn't bad, it's similar to what the schools like Team Continental charge. The BMW club days are more like $100.

To me, the more important factors than cost are:

1) what quality, if any, instruction is provided?
2) how much actual track time will you get?
3) will that track time be good, or filled with too many other cars either passing you or going way slower than you?

The right track day for you will depend on what you need/want at this stage in your track career.

Feel free to ask about specific track events if you'd like more info on what they're like. And when you're ready for more, check out Pacific Raceways in Seattle, and Spokane Raceway Park.

For a decent, inexpensive helmet, take a look at the Bell Mag 4.

Hope that helps,

Ted
Old 07-30-2003, 09:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tedster
[B]Have you checked the Track Event Schedule? It's over here, and I try to list prices:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=98084

$170 for a track day isn't bad, it's similar to what the schools like Team Continental charge. The BMW club days are more like $100.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Team Continental. They are the Portland ICSCC club. They run a school for people looking to get an ICSCC competition liscense, but the school is open for anyone. You'll get an evening of classroom instruction and a day of track time with instructor for around $225. It's a hard deal to beat.

As for the helmet, they all have to meet the same standards (snell and/or dot certification). If the helmet is SA rated it has extra protection from fire. All the groups I've ever run with have only required an M (mortorcycle) rated helmet. The difference in price is mostly paying for comfort, lighter weight, less wind noise, etc...

- Michael
Old 07-30-2003, 10:24 AM

I have a pretty new G-Force GF-950 Helmet for sale. Size is Medium and I will let it go for $175. It has been used about 6 times and it is SA2000 rated (current high standard). I will also be racing in Portland this weekend, so I will bring it down if you want to check it out in person.

Just find a yellow CRX #396

Jim
Old 07-30-2003, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JHill
[B]I have a pretty new G-Force GF-950 Helmet for sale.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:37 AM

anyone know of a place to shop for helmets locally?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:47 AM

It is probably too small for you then. I have a little head, but it is too big for me. Anyone else interested?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM

The GForce helmets I had experiece with actually fit kind of big. I wear an XL in Bel which fits a little bit tight, but I can fit into this GFroce I have which is labeled "M". It fits even tighter than the Bel, but my head does fit, and it worked fine for when I only did drag racing.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Derek Wang
[B]The GForce helmets I had experiece with actually fit kind of big.

Quick Reply: Track Time..how to get it