Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

TRACK: Lap Attack! Series @ PGP Motorsports Park

Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I tried that. I also did the crazy-man weave on the front and back straight through the first lap.

The thing that bothers me, is that even after a half hour of running as hard as it will go at a lapping day, the tires are still not hot enough. though that is when they feel the best, and i feel that i am running quickest. Now i just nee to get an on board computer... and a seat, and a bar, and to roll my fenders, and an exhaust, and a diff that is NOT A FREAKING OPEN DIFF!!!!!!, and a brake bias adjuster, and better pads, and................ You get the idea.

See you all next time, N.L.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALFYonso,Aug 14 2010, 12:41 AM
Good times for sure. I bested my previous time on 225/255 Star Specs and stock suspension by about 2 seconds with the new suspension/tire bits. The car has probably still got a solid 0.5-1.0 seconds in it without any other tuning/tweaks, so I'm hoping I can iron out all the driver errors. I'm pretty satisfied with my 1:15.1 though. I didn't quite reach my goal of breaking deep into the 14's, but for a maiden STR voyage, I can't complain. I also had a full tank of gas, a filthy air filter (this surprisingly makes a noticeable difference in power), and my top down (it's funner and that's how I ran it stock when I got the 1:17)...

The shakedown of my STR setup was not without issue though. There was some tire shaving, an off-course (snap-back after some ridiculous oversteer), many rubbing noises, and weird odors coming from the front end (fender liner?). Hopefully no permanent damage, but I did lose my front driver's side diffuser. Anyone selling one?

Good meeting some more folks while out there! Matt/Waterfall - we'll have to duke it out in STR some time before the season ends
It was good to meet you to, and Im always down for a STR battle. I got an email from the guy taking pics, shoot me a PM with your email and Il pass it along to him.

I ended up running a 14.9 which was half decent in my book, but the car has a mid 13 in it for sure.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin,Aug 14 2010, 09:57 PM
It was good to meet you to, and Im always down for a STR battle. I got an email from the guy taking pics, shoot me a PM with your email and Il pass it along to him.

I ended up running a 14.9 which was half decent in my book, but the car has a mid 13 in it for sure.
Hopefully the STR battle won't have to wait too long ...

I have a few clips of your car. They're kinda random but I can send them your way if you are interested. I'm also sending you a PM shortly.

Car or not, I'll be there for the September event.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ALFYonso,Aug 15 2010, 11:05 AM
Hopefully the STR battle won't have to wait too long ...

I have a few clips of your car. They're kinda random but I can send them your way if you are interested. I'm also sending you a PM shortly.

Car or not, I'll be there for the September event.
you can co-drive my car if you want. Just dont send it into the pond please
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Aug 14 2010, 07:31 PM
amen to that . i made the dumb mistake of filling up the day before, so by the end of the event i still had more than half a tank. That extra 50-60 lbs. makes a huge difference on my shift point on the straight. I was shifting about three to four car lengths further down the straight than i was just last week. So i would asume that with a motor as weak as what is in my car, it is probably at least a half second, if everything else was equal.

on a side note; does anyone else have a hard time getting their tires up to temp? I have found that if it is a clean lap, my third lap is normally my quickest. the only reason for this is that my tires are still coming into the operating range. Even at the lapping days when i go out for a half hour straight, i come off and my tires are in the 130 degree range. Which if i am correct, the dedsired range for the r888's is about 150-170? I have played with pressure and found that i get a little better heat if i start lower. However, then my hot pressure is only about 35psi, and i know that most spec guys shoot for 38psi. Any tips for getting more heat? Especially for time attack when we only get four laps?

N.L.
Sounds like I missed a great event... stupid weddings. I get the fastest times on my first lap with V710's which makes sense but also with the R888's. I loose lateral grip after the first 1-2 laps and then it stays fairly constant. I've been shooting for 35 psi hot. 40 psi hot was horrible for me/my car.
What size wheels and tires are you running? What are your alignment specs? You might gain some heat with more aggressive toe... or just drive faster
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM

^ I am running on 205/50r15 r888's on the TR cm1 wheels, 15x7 13lbs.

Keep in mind that i am N.L., so this is in a miata. I am running tein flex suspension with 9/6kg springs, and dampers usually set to about 5 clicks from full stiff. (16 click range) Other than that, the only mod is rear sway removed.

I have tried playing with toe, turning either side out a 1/4 turn, and have found about where it feels good. If I go too far, the tires make a lot of noise and it plows worse than ever.

The suspension and other issues i think that i can eventually work out. I am just curious why i am having such a hard time getting my tires up to temp. It is possible that the laser pyrometer that i have it not a very good way of taking tire temps. I have had a few people tell me to get one that you stick in the tires, but i'm just not cool enough for that.

I guess that maybe i should go ask some miata guys...

N.L.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hook up the rear bar
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 AM

^ i would, but it has an open diff, and it fells as though it has a little better traction on right had corners without it. I guess that for the next lapping day, i could reinstall it, and just disconnect one side, to try it back to back, and see which feels better, and which is faster.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

I would suggest before messing around with anything else on the car, get a limited slip. I have an LSD and a non LSD Miata and it makes a huge difference. Won't necessarily affect your tire temps, but it will affect your ability to push the car to the point where you're generating heat. The rest of stuff on your wish list can wait.

Alfy - nice report. As far as the air filter goes, don't forget that it was 20° warmer on Friday than it was at the previous events. Heat has a huge impact on power.

And the convertible top won't make a big difference at PGP, as you're topping out around 70 MPH.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Aug 16 2010, 07:25 AM
^ i would, but it has an open diff, and it fells as though it has a little better traction on right had corners without it. I guess that for the next lapping day, i could reinstall it, and just disconnect one side, to try it back to back, and see which feels better, and which is faster.
My guess is you'll do faster lap times with the bar hooked up resulting in hotter tires resulting in even faster lap times without the car understeering so bad.
You might not be able to get on the gas as early on corner exit w/o spinning the inside rear tire but you'll be going faster through the corner to more than make up for it ...... I think

Quick Reply: TRACK: Lap Attack! Series @ PGP Motorsports Park