Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

TRACK: Lap Attack! Series @ PGP Motorsports Park

Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still not in favor of an open r-comp tire class. Nothing will change fron the current setup unless some of the slower drivers decides to go to the street class.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALFYonso,Oct 15 2010, 09:11 AM
^^ I disagree more than I agree with that. The gap between the guys on the podium and the "show up and drive" guys (the group it sounded like this was originally intended to be marketed to) is huge. Again, there's no way anyone on street tires is seeing that podium. If that's the approach, then can we just start timing lapping days and get some type of timing board up so we can at least see if we are faster than everyone we care about?

(Meant to be in response to Jerry)
That gap between experienced drivers and the entry level drivers will always be huge. It won't matter what they drive. Besides, you can't uninvite guys just because they have skill. That is why I'm proposing a Novice class.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Oct 15 2010, 08:46 AM
I'm still not in favor of an open r-comp tire class. Nothing will change fron the current setup unless some of the slower drivers decides to go to the street class.
That’s the point in my proposed idea. Under powered R comp miata could feasibly run in a street tire class if that’s where his times match up best for the best competition, you might have some hiding to do but that’s part of the deal, work on going faster if it matters to you that much and then move up to another time bracket, maybe where there is more guys on r comps. Part of the fun is that its “open classes” car/driver sets their own competition by the times they can run. Always a chance for anyone to move up. A seperate "novice class" could easily be added for the masses.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=ALFYonso,Oct 15 2010, 12:35 AM]Who's this Tso character?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Oct 15 2010, 09:53 AM
That gap between experienced drivers and the entry level drivers will always be huge. It won't matter what they drive. Besides, you can't uninvite guys just because they have skill. That is why I'm proposing a Novice class.
Agreed, I guess I should have worded that differently: street tires vs. Folks trailing in race tires, racecars, etc.. whatever though.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ALFYonso,Oct 15 2010, 11:47 AM
Agreed, I guess I should have worded that differently: street tires vs. Folks trailing in race tires, racecars, etc.. whatever though.
It really doesn't matter what the classes are, the fast drivers will almost always find a way to podium. Under my proposal you will see guys trailering in dedicated race cars... and putting street tires on. You can dilute the pool of talent by coming up with more classes, but the same guys will be on top.

Welcome to racing.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that I am going to have to get one of the drivers that we know are good to drive my car some time. At least then if they go faster than me I know that its me, and not that I need to keep spending money...
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Oct 15 2010, 01:41 PM
It really doesn't matter what the classes are, the fast drivers will almost always find a way to podium. Under my proposal you will see guys trailering in dedicated race cars... and putting street tires on. You can dilute the pool of talent by coming up with more classes, but the same guys will be on top.

Welcome to racing.

This is hopeless. I'll see you out there when I see you out there.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Oct 15 2010, 03:14 PM
I think that I am going to have to get one of the drivers that we know are good to drive my car some time. At least then if they go faster than me I know that its me, and not that I need to keep spending money...
A very wise strategy.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Oct 15 2010, 03:14 PM
After watching your in-car video I'd suggest using more track - especially at corner exit. If you still have track left at exit, you slowed down too much for the corner.
Specifically:
T3 exit - consistently tons of room on exit
T7 exit - same thing
T8 complex - looks like you could carry more speed through there
T11-T12 - go wider between these corners (big arc to track edge) = more speed, better set-up for T12-T13

Of course it's easy to critique video. Your lines generally look great and you are very smooth. Perfect way to start out. Now you can focus on corner speed - stop using your brakes, they just slow you down! Also, use up the track on corner entry - get to the very edge before turning in. This will increase your corner radius = more speed.

I'm not sure how dialed in your car is but getting the relative roll stiffness balanced and alignment optimized is generally cheap and can be worth many seconds.

Quick Reply: TRACK: Lap Attack! Series @ PGP Motorsports Park