Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

TRACK: Lap Attack! Series @ PGP Motorsports Park

Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

All this competition talk is giving me a boner. Damn I want to get out there. Did someone mention that there is another lap attack series starting again now?

And whats the current status with this damn coolant issue?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant is cool, as long as you don't have any issues.

There is also a lapping day tomorrow.

I hope that everything on your car is still working by the next lap attack. It would be a shame for you to miss out on another series.

And on that note, is anyone else comoing tomorrow? I have my mind set on finishing off my tires, but if enough people come and I don't get to run all day, they might make it to the next lap attack.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm hot for a three class structure until car counts support sub-catagories in Street Tire and Race Tire.

1) Novice
...Run here until your first podium, then this is closed to you.

2) Street Tire
...140+ treadwear

3) Race Tire
...Prepare to be humiliated.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Oct 12 2010, 10:48 PM
I would also support a system based on either an scca autocross rules, s2k challenge, miata challenge, or other points based setup. The biggest problems with that is that people would have to show up knowing what their point number is. It they didn't tech would take forever, and the entire event would fall behind. Second, the point system only works when the car that you start with are even. You could put the same number of points in and s2k and a wrx, and chances are that the s2k will be faster around the track... By quite a bit.
I like the idea of a time attack-style points system, but you make a good point (pun intended) about tech inspections being a PITA. I don't know how much of an issue that would really cause though. If the tech/sign-up sheet had a check box on it, entrants could just fill out a form. As for the S2K vs. WRX example, perhaps the S2K starts with more points? With Pro Auto-X, each class has an index to equalize times. It's not perfect, but it worked decently. Maybe imply a mix of an index with a points system?

Ray - I figured out what would get screwed with those displacements - Boxsters, 350's, M3's ...basically heavier A/B-stock Auto-X cars that the S2000 competes against. I am a fan of the ALL street tires class though, because I feel that street tires plateau at some point no matter how much power you have.

What about some separation related to power-to-weight ratio? Too complicated? It sounds good, but I can see a lot of debate on how much a car weighs / exactly how much power it makes with the more race-prepped cars.

What is the specific desired outcome?
This is a vague response, but I think the basic answer is to give most people a chance at winning. Some guy can't show up in an '88 Cressida and expect to clean house, but if some guy shows up in a slightly modded Miata with a knack for driving, he should be able to stand a fair chance in some sort of class.

story time ....
I keep thinking back to the first event in June that quite a few of my buddies participated in. One of them realized he was actually competitive with the other AWD cars in his STi and everyone got excited for him. Then the trophies came out, Dietz podium'd 3 times (and trophied in the series, WTF??), no one on street tires took anything, and most of those guys I convinced to come out never returned. They all had fun for sure, but it was definitely a de-motivator. Getting the casual car guys - probably the largest demographic - on-board with competition has potential to significantly increase participation. Or maybe they just get taken care of with the novice class? I remember it being satisfying to get a novice trophy in Auto-X, even though I had the unfair advantage of a gutted, cam'd Integra GS-R...

Great discussion Wish I could chime in during business hours, but it's too hard to pretend like I'm working I'm looking forward to what comes of all this talk.

EDIT - forgot to mention that I'm also in favor of times being posted somewhere that involved the driver's name, car, mods, and fastest time. This would be an addition to the classing, but with this, people can make their own competitions - ie: someone might think "I might not be faster than that Atom, but I'm faster than all comparable Miatas!" We could call it the "Bench Racer Bracket" because I'm sure it would generate plenty of profound discussions.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Oct 12 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm hot for a three class structure until car counts support sub-catagories in Street Tire and Race Tire.

1) Novice
...Run here until your first podium, then this is closed to you.

2) Street Tire
...140+ treadwear

3) Race Tire
...Prepare to be humiliated.
I like it. It hurts the FWD class, especially FWD on R-comps. It's their own damn fault for buying a FWD I guess. It should add some great competition with Street Tire in the target ~1:15 range. Race tire will have more competition at the top with AWD and RWD battling together.

Clarifications:
1. Can we add that all competing vehicles must have a VIN? This would allow non-street registered racecars like spec-Miatas but would exclude a DSR or Vancouver Special. I believe the intent is to race production street cars.
2. Race Tires. DOT or open to all slicks?
3. Can Novice run Race Tires?

Note: I agree that 9 trophies for roughly 30 entries is plenty. If you add a few classes, half the drivers get trophies. Where's the sport in that?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

I like the direction this is going.

The only thing I’m not clear on regarding the 3 class structure Jerry is how does it work if you bring for example a 1:13 car/driver to one of the events but have never had a podium finish, so you stay in Novice class where the majority of car may be several seconds slower? How does that work with staggering on the track? I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would all be structured. For myself, I may never hit each event, but just one or two out of the four, so I would never get a podium and placed in the appropriate competitive class? What am I missing?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I would think that you wouldn't be required to enter into the novice class.

I also don't think Novice's should be allowed to run race tires, similar to Auto-X. The Novice class should be aimed at the n00bs, and I'm sure many won't come to the party with race tires if they are just getting into it.

It's their own damn fault for buying a FWD I guess.
LoLz, wrong wheel drive.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Oct 13 2010, 08:38 AM
I like the direction this is going.

The only thing I’m not clear on regarding the 3 class structure Jerry is how does it work if you bring for example a 1:13 car/driver to one of the events but have never had a podium finish, so you stay in Novice class where the majority of car may be several seconds slower? How does that work with staggering on the track? I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would all be structured. For myself, I may never hit each event, but just one or two out of the four, so I would never get a podium and placed in the appropriate competitive class? What am I missing?

... don't spend too many brain cells, it's just a stupid plastic trophy
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by ALFYonso,Oct 13 2010, 10:03 AM
^^ I would think that you wouldn't be required to enter into the novice class.

I also don't think Novice's should be allowed to run race tires, similar to Auto-X. The Novice class should be aimed at the n00bs, and I'm sure many won't come to the party with race tires if they are just getting into it.

LoLz, wrong wheel drive.
I'm with you, but technically I could still be considered a noob becuase I have only been to PGP once.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by RT,Oct 13 2010, 10:09 AM

... don't spend too many brain cells, it's just a stupid plastic trophy
I'd settle for a ribbon

Quick Reply: TRACK: Lap Attack! Series @ PGP Motorsports Park