Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Track info 2007

Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

stickied.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Decided to add a little info on insurance.

Basically, don't expect your insurance company to pay out for track incidents. This is a change from only a year or so ago, when most major carriers covered non-racing HPDEs. But now almost all of them have added exclusions designed to eliminate such coverage. Some even have a policy of dropping drivers who even participate.

Besides the risk of damage to your car, you probably also won't be covered for liability or injury either. The waivers you (and everyone else) signs might (or might not) help protect you from liability. But be smart about the decisions you make.

The good news is, most of your risk on the track is under your control. The bad news is, bad things can happen, and it isn't wise to assume you are an exception. It's pretty sad when someone has to spend several years making bank payments on a wadded up wreck.

Just a heads up. It's not going to stop me from tracking my car.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta agree here - I have seen several discussions on various forums as of late and the shift to no coverage extends to almost every major insurance carrier in the US.

Liability issues are typically contained by the track waivers you are required to sign at the gate, but medical and collision will be entirely up to ancillary insurance (workplace medical if you have it) or out of your own pocket.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 AM

Here's a trackday insurance plan I was pointed to. I have no idea how good or reliable they are. For now, I think I will probably self-insure.

http://laurelde.com/

Terms are:

Physical Damage to your vehicle only
Deductible: 15% of Insured Value or $5000
Premium: 4.06% of Insured Value

Term: 1 Year or 30 On-track days which ever comes first

The program covers any event that has structure in passing with no racing or timing. You are only covered when you are driving your own car.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This discussion is replaying itself on a dozen or more boards, but a couple of quick points: (i) there are subtlties with LaurelDE that you need to understand before you insure with them (for one, they're a Canadian company not licensed to do business in individual states in the U.S. -- insurance is state-regulated here), which means that while they seem to have a good reputation for paying on claims, there are some legal issues that could impact the degree to which you're covered, (ii) the Laurel DE policy imposes a 15%/$5K deductible (whichever is *higher*), and (iii) it's not cheap.

As for the degree to which the waivers and club-provided or track-provided insurance provide protection against liability, that's really still an open question. Until I see an actual policy, so I can evaluate it directly, it's all hearsay, and none of the clubs or tracks has yet to release a policy to me. We may have succeeded in obtaining PIR's policy, but I've yet to receive it.

CB

Addendum: yes, Ray's write. I mistyped....
Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

... I think the minimum deductable is 15%/$5K (whichever is greater)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Added info on Friday At The Track days at Spokane.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:37 AM

I stopped by PR yesterday. Big change that was immediately obvious is that the paddock area has been clearcut. Rumor has it that NHRA said the whole place has to paved over before they come back this summer.

I talked to some of the BMW club folks driving out there. They were the first group out on the track all year, and they said the course was treacherous. The lower part, in particular, was slimy and muddy.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

sweet
Old 02-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by RT,Feb 18 2007, 02:29 PM
sweet
Miki said she got loose coming out of 6, and also going into 5A. Both pretty dicey spots. But hopefully the BMW club took the bullet for the rest of us....

Quick Reply: Track info 2007