Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

So it's not just me...

Old 01-27-2002, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So it's not just me...

Weird rash of these wrecks lately. Wish I weren't part of it.

But as for the responses to my earlier post, I want to thank everyone. I don't post here to seek sympathy but I do very much appreciate the kindness. My main purpose is to let everyone know just how lucky I feel to be alive and how much the car comes into play with my ability to even say that. I've been driving for 25 years and this was my first accident. I'm generally not a bad driver but I also recognize that I've had some pretty good luck going on there. At the heart of the matter, I probably shouldn't have been out on that rainy stretch in this car. I pushed my luck a little too far. But then it kicked back in and I survived it.

Throughout my seemingly neverending hours at Harborview Medical Center, I was constantly telling everyone who would listen (and amazingly that was EVERYONE) how much I appreciate the safety that this car afforded me. I'm not a religious man but I was definitely helped by a combination of angels and engineering. I'm very lucky to be alive. The EMT workers asked me if I saw my life flash before my eyes. I honestly did not. I never doubted that I would make it alright. But I vividly remember realizing that I was wrecking this little baby. I don't remember the airbags going off but they did their job. It just happened very very quickly. I went from realizing that I was hydroplaning to spinning to getting out of my car. It wasn't until after I got out that I even realized it was overturned. That's probably just as well. Who needs the memories?

I went to the lot at Republican & Terry yesterday to say goodbye and attempt to gather a couple of things. (Yes it is readily visible to everyone through the chain link fence but they're planning on moving it tomorrow.) It's really ugly but I did take some pictures. I decided that I will not post them here because I don't think it would do justice to the integrity of this site. I even hesitate to write this much here. But I'll be happy to email anyone that's interested. Rather than PMing me, you can email me for pics at s2000rip@email.com.

While I don't want to appear preachy, wear your seatbelts. It's a damn good car and you should drive it as hard as conditions allow. But don't ever drive without fastening up. It'll save you. It did me.

David