Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

SLR help ? !

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Drew, are you talking film or digital?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

..... dudes stuck in the 70's
Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drstrangelove,Nov 24 2009, 01:06 PM
I belive that I said the best deal was to buy used. A "Good" body will last a lifetime, meaning a pro level camera or a metal chassis one.

Henri Cartier-Bresson, one of the most famous photographers ever used a Leica Instamatic. Great lenses, instamatic body. Skill not boost counts.
mine took a lot of abuse on the asia trip

been thinking of stripping the whole body and just using it bare magnesium

Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly,Nov 24 2009, 10:54 AM
I also shoot Nikon, for two reasons: one is that Nikon is more intuitive (to me) than Canon and two was that the D80 + 18-200 VRII lens combo was the primo option below $2k. The D90 (basically a D80 with 720P video capture) + 18-200VRII is still a good "starter" setup but you're looking at $1600 for the pair. Anywhere less than that, Canon's options are better.

Most of what Hippie said I agree with completely. Carrying a big camera (plus spare battery, lenses, flash, etc etc) gets cumbersome. Consider how you're going to use the pictures you take, too. 99% of the pictures I take never see the light of day, the remaining 1% end up on Facebook, massively shrunk so I can email them to my parents, etc. The pictures I take on my $200 point and shoot are more than sufficient usually.

I disagree a bit with Drew - the new bodies (other than the pro level stuff) are disposable crap, mostly made of cheap plastic and with feature sets that are constantly changing. If you're going to spend money, put it in the lens(es) and buy someone's used body.
do "consumer/Prosumer" models no longer need the premium lenses (L/N) I've noticed Canon's L lenses to be much cheaper especially on the used market than their Nikon equivalents.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by drstrangelove,Nov 24 2009, 02:06 PM
I belive that I said the best deal was to buy used. A "Good" body will last a lifetime, meaning a pro level camera or a metal chassis one.

Henri Cartier-Bresson, one of the most famous photographers ever used a Leica Instamatic. Great lenses, instamatic body. Skill not boost counts.
With digital, there's no point in having a body that lasts a lifetime. The feature sets evolve such that a 2 generation old top of the line is functionally inferior to the new mid range models but still costs more used (not factoring in the full frame vs 3/4 frame stuff).
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kelvin96gsr,Nov 24 2009, 04:10 PM
do "consumer/Prosumer" models no longer need the premium lenses (L/N) I've noticed Canon's L lenses to be much cheaper especially on the used market than their Nikon equivalents.
I think as long as you avoid the cheapest models (Nikon D40 / Canon Rebel XS) you can use the L lenses...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly,Nov 24 2009, 03:24 PM
I think as long as you avoid the cheapest models (Nikon D40 / Canon Rebel XS) you can use the L lenses...
what I meant is are the AFS/DX lenses so purpose built that they offer the same image quality that L/N lenses do on a crop body?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly,Nov 24 2009, 03:17 PM
With digital, there's no point in having a body that lasts a lifetime. The feature sets evolve such that a 2 generation old top of the line is functionally inferior to the new mid range models but still costs more used (not factoring in the full frame vs 3/4 frame stuff).
maybe I think we are nearing the end of the digital wars in the Pro arena.

Really all they could add are:

+More megapixels (does it really matter anymore)
+Geotaging
+Better dynamic range (already on par with film currently)
+Better low light sensitivity (better than film)
+Make the body lighter (maybe CF?)

The only reason I'd upgrade my D3 is if I broke it(likely) or they came out with some magical sensor that had double the dynamic range(medium format in a 35mm package). So far no one is really coming up with technology to advance the dynamic range of these sensors but I would love to be proven wrong

Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM

I think the adoption of 720p/1080p video is a sign that the bodies will keep getting newer/more powerful features. GPS integration, wifi/tethering to cell phones for instant upload, probably a bunch of stuff I can't think of.

Whether that makes the camera better or not depends on the user. The only possible reason I can think to upgrade my body would be to get full frame.

As for the lenses, I don't think so... better glass will always yield better pictures than cheap glass with fancy electronics.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Sorry I haven't responded for a few days...

I don't want a pro camera but I don't want a start out SLR.

Like I said before... I would like an SLR that can capture the moment. I would like to be able to change shutter speed and aperture which I believe is called "units of stops" please correct me if I am wrong. A good lense can't fix that. I'm not sure how much you can change the speeds in the lower end SLR's

I would like A digital.... don't really want to learn how to develope ( maybe someday)my own film. Film stops are pretty sparce since the digital camera came around. Maybe once I am handed down the old Nikon I'll take that up.

Quick Reply: SLR help ? !