Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

SLR help ? !

Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming you're talking about digital, not film, and are a "beginner," here's some advice-

- Buy used. This will save a decent bit of money just about any way you cut it. Digital bodies have fairly consistent and somewhat rapid depreciation as newer/better/faster bodies are constantly being released. This also looks out for the possibility that you'll decide shooting with an SLR isn't for you- as anyone that produces good photos with an SLR can tell you, it takes thought and work to get what you want out of the equipment...not to mention getting to carry around a camera much larger than a point and shoot. A one or three old body is going to be plenty to take good photos with and understand the concepts behind taking them.

- Buy a decent book. You'll spend more time frustrated than anything else if you don't understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

- Figure out what you want to photograph (auto racing, low light, landscapes, etc). This will help to dictate which lenses will work best for you, and you can decide for yourself if you want to carry a single lens that "compromises" a bit or multiple lenses that are better for more specific uses.

- Choosing a manufacture...you can't really go wrong with any of the major manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax), especially with Canon and Nikon as you'll have the greatest selection of lenses and other accessories (as Ray said, if there's one piece of equipment that makes a photo, it's going to be the lens). My advice here is to go somewhere where you can spend ~30min or more hands on with cameras from both companies and figure out which one feels better in hand, and more importantly, which one has a menu system that makes sense to you and is relatively easy to navigate.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I shoot Nikon, I would recommend Canon to you.

Canon lenses are much lower cost overall than Nikon's lenses and the real differences between the two manufacturers don't show up until the Pro body's (D3/1DIV)
Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 21 2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, they already went and took his Kodachrome away.
But if ya gotta have it.......

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?sou...IwAw#ps-sellers
Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But who develops it?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

... there's still someone I'm sure ............ $$$$'s
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 23 2009, 07:18 PM
But who develops it?
All the grocery stores still send film to Qualex, as far as I know, and there's supposedly still a Film Stop up on Queen Anne, but I haven't bothered to verify that yet. Still have a few rolls sitting in the fridge from a trip to NZ that I need to get developed.

I'm kinda sad that no one has mentioned Olympus, but I suppose it doesn't surprise me too much. Their camera bodies aren't as flashy as Canon/Nikon, but they work well and (the E1/E3 at least) are indestructible (magnesium/weatherproof). Plus, the mid-range and pro level lenses are at least as good as anything that Canon/Nikon make. If they ever come out with a full frame sensor, I don't think I'll ever look at a Nikon again.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not talking about who develops film. I'm talking about who develops Kodachrome. There was only one lab in the world certified to develop Kodachrome. Now that it is no longer in production, how long will they maintain the ability to process it?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by hippie
Assuming you're talking about digital, not film, and are a "beginner," here's some advice-

- Buy used. This will save a decent bit of money just about any way you cut it. Digital bodies have fairly consistent and somewhat rapid depreciation as newer/better/faster bodies are constantly being released. This also looks out for the possibility that you'll decide shooting with an SLR isn't for you- as anyone that produces good photos with an SLR can tell you, it takes thought and work to get what you want out of the equipment...not to mention getting to carry around a camera much larger than a point and shoot. A one or three old body is going to be plenty to take good photos with and understand the concepts behind taking them.

- Buy a decent book. You'll spend more time frustrated than anything else if you don't understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

- Figure out what you want to photograph (auto racing, low light, landscapes, etc). This will help to dictate which lenses will work best for you, and you can decide for yourself if you want to carry a single lens that "compromises" a bit or multiple lenses that are better for more specific uses.

- Choosing a manufacture...you can't really go wrong with any of the major manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax), especially with Canon and Nikon as you'll have the greatest selection of lenses and other accessories (as Ray said, if there's one piece of equipment that makes a photo, it's going to be the lens). My advice here is to go somewhere where you can spend ~30min or more hands on with cameras from both companies and figure out which one feels better in hand, and more importantly, which one has a menu system that makes sense to you and is relatively easy to navigate.
Originally Posted by token Asian
Even though I shoot Nikon, I would recommend Canon to you.

Canon lenses are much lower cost overall than Nikon's lenses and the real differences between the two manufacturers don't show up until the Pro body's (D3/1DIV)
I also shoot Nikon, for two reasons: one is that Nikon is more intuitive (to me) than Canon and two was that the D80 + 18-200 VRII lens combo was the primo option below $2k. The D90 (basically a D80 with 720P video capture) + 18-200VRII is still a good "starter" setup but you're looking at $1600 for the pair. Anywhere less than that, Canon's options are better.

Most of what Hippie said I agree with completely. Carrying a big camera (plus spare battery, lenses, flash, etc etc) gets cumbersome. Consider how you're going to use the pictures you take, too. 99% of the pictures I take never see the light of day, the remaining 1% end up on Facebook, massively shrunk so I can email them to my parents, etc. The pictures I take on my $200 point and shoot are more than sufficient usually.

I disagree a bit with Drew - the new bodies (other than the pro level stuff) are disposable crap, mostly made of cheap plastic and with feature sets that are constantly changing. If you're going to spend money, put it in the lens(es) and buy someone's used body.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 23 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not talking about who develops film. I'm talking about who develops Kodachrome. There was only one lab in the world certified to develop Kodachrome. Now that it is no longer in production, how long will they maintain the ability to process it?
One place in the world.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/slide-film.html
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly,Nov 24 2009, 10:54 AM
I disagree a bit with Drew - the new bodies (other than the pro level stuff) are disposable crap, mostly made of cheap plastic and with feature sets that are constantly changing. If you're going to spend money, put it in the lens(es) and buy someone's used body.
I belive that I said the best deal was to buy used. A "Good" body will last a lifetime, meaning a pro level camera or a metal chassis one.

Henri Cartier-Bresson, one of the most famous photographers ever used a Leica Instamatic. Great lenses, instamatic body. Skill not boost counts.

Quick Reply: SLR help ? !