Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

S2000 as a daily driver in the Seattle area

Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_IS_Gold,Dec 5 2007, 05:27 PM
hahah. im rockin bald street tires and i dont have any problems. rain is just a good chance to get some slides without ruining tires. snow isnt so bad either. my car has its limits for that faster than most you guys, but i made it to work and back and had some fun with this last snowfall.
Originally Posted by Green_IS_Gold,Dec 6 2007, 12:09 AM
im a very responsible driver.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 AM

i dont see any point proven. you act like i take every turn at an intersection as a chance to dorifto.

if you guys dont have fun with your cars i just feel sad that you even have them.

they arent THAT bald fyi.... they have seen better days but they still have groove/light amount of tread left on them. if they were dangerous to my driving, i would be getting a new pair. the fact that i can control my car just fine as they are in a few inches of snow has nothing to do with me being a danger to anyone else on the road. and like i said, because of my tires, my car has its limits for snow sooner than if i had all seasons on.

glad to know we have hate on the local boards too. ..........
Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM

What we have here, Grasshopper, is a clash of values, not "hate."

We old farts (meaning anyone over, say, 25), especially those of us who bought our cars when they were expensive and pretty, just don't share your enthusiasm for sliding around on public roads, and chuckling about driving on bald tires in an area with bad roads and much rain. That's because driving around on lousy roads, where it rains a lot, on bald tires, is dangerous.

And we don't think it's cute when some knucklehead chuckles about doing it; that's because all those knuckleheads who do it make our insurance very, very expensive. Despite (at least for some of us) perfect driving records.

You, OTOH (thought I'd throw in an internet acronym to show you just how hip an OFH--that's "old fart with a hat"--can be ), think it's cute behavior to drive around on bald tires on lousy roads where it rains a lot.

See; it's just a difference in values.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Dec 6 2007, 01:38 PM
What we have here, Grasshopper, is a clash of values, not "hate."

We old farts (meaning anyone over, say, 25), especially those of us who bought our cars when they were expensive and pretty, just don't share your enthusiasm for sliding around on public roads, and chuckling about driving on bald tires in an area with bad roads and much rain. That's because driving around on lousy roads, where it rains a lot, on bald tires, is dangerous.

And we don't think it's cute when some knucklehead chuckles about doing it; that's because all those knuckleheads who do it make our insurance very, very expensive. Despite (at least for some of us) perfect driving records.

You, OTOH (thought I'd throw in an internet acronym to show you just how hip an OFH--that's "old fart with a hat"--can be ), think it's cute behavior to drive around on bald tires on lousy roads where it rains a lot.

See; it's just a difference in values.

I must be getting old, I just put on winter tires today
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_IS_Gold,Dec 6 2007, 12:11 PM
if they were dangerous to my driving, i would be getting a new pair.
I think you misspelled "If I had a clue, I would be..."
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM

im not angry in any way, i just think you dont understand what im saying and it frustrates me.

your right, i think its "cute".... wait, no i dont.

like i said, i do not slide around on public roads unless there are no cars around and especially pedestrians. i keep it safe in case (and theres always a chance) the car spins out from oversteer.

the whole point of this thread was that the original poster wanted to know how bad driving in these conditions gets.

i was merely pointing out that with crappy non winter tires with minimal treadwear left, its still not hard to drive in the snow. i have had no problems, and i was able to make it to work and back up a few hills without crashing into anything. the fact that i had some fun on the way does not mean i am irresponsible, immature, or wreckless.

and RAIN?!?!? if you are scared to drive in rain WA is not the place for you. rain is not dangerous to drive in unless there are massive puddles where you can hydroplane and lose control. as long as you wheels can make contact with the ground, rain is only dangerous because of visibility. yes, it is easier to lose control in the rain, but that only means you should take your corners with care and dont downshift mid turn. UNLESS... you WANT to get it a little sideways, rain is your friend.

im not the only one on here who shares this point of view.

just really stupid that because i mentioned the condition of my tires you guys freak out and start making unfounded assumptions about me.

once again, its not hard to drive in the snow and rain isnt even an issue. EVEN with some bald street tires.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 6 2007, 01:45 PM
I think you misspelled "If I had a clue, I would be..."
the fact that i have experienced inches of snowfall with my current tires and havent had any problems keeping control means they arent an issue right now.

you guys, theyre not BALD bald... come on now.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM

The lady doth protest too much, methinks....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 PM

ohhhh man you whipped out a hamlet quote that i wouldnt know about because im RIZEXORZ!!!!

Quick Reply: S2000 as a daily driver in the Seattle area