Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Roll Bar for the S2K... *PIX ARE UP!*

Old 06-10-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Jun 10 2006, 09:45 AM
Being 6'2" tall, and failing the broomstick test badly, and having seen two rollover accidents on the track this year alone, I am quite interested in this project.

You mentioned $1500; is that including putting the car's interior back together? I'd be curious about the all-in cost.

Are you going to do anything with the bar to make it street-safe, by which I mean if your un-helmeted head hits it?

Any idea how much weight it adds?

Do you now pass the broomstick test, with a helmet on?

Thanks.
You'd have to talk to Russ about price with putting the interior back in. Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, he's driving the pace car at the Rose Cup races this weekend, so you won't be able to get a hold of him until Monday. Give him a call at at (503)309-4220 or (503)254-6706 to discuss.

My car is a little different situation. I REALLY wanted to keep the functionality of the storage space while having the roll/harness bars be functional as well. I also wanted the option of being able to use the factory belts. So, Russ did a few extra things he may not do in anyones cage. We also discussed the angle of the 3rd/4th point (downbars) and decided to take them back as far as possible. I'll have to remount my spare, but in my eyes it's worth it. If this car were a track only car, I would have done a full cage and gone completely crazy with it. As it is, I really wanted the option of returning the car to stock in the future if someone were to want to do that. So, I'm going to leave all the panels that I can untouched, and have Guys Interior Restoration make the inside "look like Honda built the car that way". At least that's my goal. Absolutely NOT the cheapest way to do it, but I've never really been "right in the head" anyway, so it's not like I'd do what was logical anyway. I seem to enjoy the self abuse of spending tons of money on a car, making it perfect, then selling it to someone too cheap.

The pix I posted were of the car during the build and leaving the shop. This weekend I'm stripping the area in the back, painting, etc... So it'll look much better when it's done. Then I'm going to use either the SFI 45.1 half shell pad or the new squared off FIA stuff. We left just enough room for padding. So it will definitely be street safe when it's done.

As far as weight is concerned, you'd have to ask Russ. We used 1 5/8 inch Chromoly tubing as it's a little lighter than DOM. Russ Tig welded the assembly out of the car. I'd have to guess on the weight, but after you take out the factory bars and the brace that holds in the seatbelt retractors, I'd guess that you only add 20 lbs or so. If I were a little smarter, I would have weighed it before we put it in the car for the last time. Doh!

Broomstick test. Right now with the stock seat completely unaltered, I'm just under the bar by a finger. Since I'm a bit too big for the Recaro SPG seat, which is known to fit in the car, I'm having to do lots of homework to see what will fit. There was an interesting thread on "lowering" the stock seat that you outta read if you haven't. Pretty cool. In the worst case, I'll lower my factory seat and have Guy do surgery on it to add harness guides. I'd really rather find a pair of seats that'll fit in there that I'LL fit in. That's the hard part. I hope to get down 2 inches. I have an Ultra Shield seat on my Game Racer that I'm gonna try to test mount this weekend. If I'm able to get that in the car I may use it. Since it's aluminum, I'd have Russ fab up a back brace for it and tie it to the harness bar. But, I'd rather find some composit seats that work. Unfortunately it's just not that easy getting seats in these things for a larger driver.

B

Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Hey guys, since a couple of you asked for pix when the bar was done, I figured I'd toss up a couple real quick.

Painted the bar after "condomizing" the car.

Here's a shot while the first coat of primer was drying...

Didn't have time to get any good completion pix yet, I was too busy out letting the paint dry via the "Wind and Sun method"...

Yeah... Ghetto pad job. That was temporary for one day. I've got sticks of the trick, and incredibly ugly, FIA padding in the garage. Will be installing that this weekend. Think I've got the seat figured out too. Should be track ready pretty soon.

When I get some good pix of the bar complete/padding, etc.. I'll post up a couple more.

Brad
Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good Brad

Nice car condom
Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks Gavin.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Sigh - playing hooky at our friendly local volcano while the rest of us poor slobs are working

Looks nice even with the ghetto padding.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 PM

Thanks Alan,

It's actually gonna look worse with the FIA pad. If it's *beyond hideous*, I'll switch to the semi round SFI 45.1 stuff. Just gotta get the seat built now, have Russ fab up brackets, install belts.... & go. Oh yeah, and there is that little thing about having some finish work done on the interior. I'm in line for that.

B
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanL,Jun 14 2006, 05:25 PM
our friendly local volcano
I don't know about "friendly"....
Old 06-14-2006, 06:16 PM

sooo... what seats did you decide on?

and I ordered that FIA black padding too... but I guess I need to order two.. hahaha, im an idiot, I just have one half of a circle
Old 06-14-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=3312DC,Jun 14 2006, 07:16 PM] and I ordered that FIA black padding too...
Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jun 14 2006, 06:25 PM
You plan to hit more than one side of the bar?
the padding is installed by removing a white plastic covering... its on the inside of the padding the whole way, so if I just installed one half Id have either a white tape showing or it would be real, real sticky.... its made to attach together, I just didnt know enough about it to buy two pieces

Quick Reply: Roll Bar for the S2K... *PIX ARE UP!*