Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Relocating to Seattle from So. Cal.

Old 03-29-2002, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating to Seattle from So. Cal.

I need some advice. I'm more than likely relocating from Southern California to the Seattle area in a couple of months. The question is whether to keep the S2000 or trade it in for a 4WD.

I've read a couple of your horror stories regarding the snow earlier this month...not good. I don't even take the car out when it rains around here--take the wife's Suburban instead.

My question is: what's the consensus up there? Do most of you drive the S2000 in the rain/snow or keep a second car for the wet days? Also, is 4WD the way to go up there--should I trade out the 2WD Suburban for 4WD?

It may seem like a stupid question to you, but I'm a real wet-weather novice...just looking for some tips from those who know.

Thanks so much.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:26 PM

First, remember you are not moving to the Midwest (where I moved from). Snow in the Seattle area is an anomaly and when it occurs, it melts very quickly. I am not sure where you are going to live/work, but if you are a frequent traveler over "the pass", than certainly the winter months will not see you doing that in an S2K. I am going to guess, however, that you will not need to regularly travel into the mountains, so the S2K will be more than fine as a daily year around driver. I've used mine as a daily driver since purchasing it 2 years ago, and I have had no issues. Perhaps because I learned to drive in snow country (Wisconsin) explains why I have never had an issue in the wet. Many whom I have seen have problems when it rains are those trying to drive the car like it was a dry sunny day. I am not saying you have to drive like your grandmother, but you do need to have more respect. As I've said, I have not had a single issue (knock on wood).

I would not say that a 4WD is "the way to go". Of course it depends on where you are going with it. If you like off-road or as I mentioned earlier, drive a lot in the mountains, than certainly this would be a better option. However, for Seattle driving and even ski trips into the mountains, a regular sedan works fine. Again, you are not moving to snow country.

There definitely will be a big adjustment from So. Cal. Coming from the Midwest as I did, was a huge improvement (IMHO). While I think in every way but the weather, Seattle will be a nice improvement over So. Cal, those that have lived there for a long time or have grown up there, typically have a hard time adjusting to the weather. My company is based in So. Cal and I know a lot of folks from So. Cal including many who have tried the move to Seattle (most have returned to So. Cal). I am not trying to scare you, as I think Seattle is one of the best places to live in the entire country......but the weather in no way resembles the consistency of So. Cal.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2002, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless you are driving like a maniac, you shouldn't have any trouble driving in the rain with S2000/S02's. Just about every car on the road up here is an SUV, but I can't figure out why. I daily drive the S2000, and this winter I've been carpooling in a 2WD RAV4 just to save mileage while the weather is no fun. Most of the gang use the S2000 every day. Yes, we had a large number of mishaps, but I can't think of any that occured because somebody was driving slow for the conditions.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScottB
[B]First, remember you are not moving to the Midwest (where I moved from).
Old 03-29-2002, 03:54 PM

I moved here from San Francisco less than 2 years ago and I'm sort of surviving. Winter is ing cold and harsh but spring/summer/fall make up for it. Can't beat it here when it's warm and daylight until 10 pm. I never even considered a convertible when I lived in California but I bought one after moving here. Go figure that one out. I say keep the S2000 and see how it goes.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by scooby2
Winter is ing cold and harsh but spring/summer/fall make up for it.
Are you kidding me? Cold and harsh? For god sake, you Californians really need to live in other parts of our fine country. Cold and harsh....HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 03-29-2002, 05:26 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

daily driver baby:
Old 03-29-2002, 05:39 PM

Ray I love that picture!!! Pretty cool looking in the snow!!
Old 03-30-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by jerrypeterson
Most of the gang use the S2000 every day.
I'm one of those. I only have one car, and before the S I drove a Miata every day. convertibles are great here, especially if you want to get out & enjoy our weather (such as it is). More than once I've put the top down & driven home in the drizzle just to be in the outdoors.

Z.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:54 PM

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I'll take your advice and bring the S up there. At the very least, I'll enjoy it for the summer, then I'll look at getting a beater for the rainy work days.

See you later...