Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Recommended Tires

Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Tires

So I am in need of some tires. I have been looking around on here and other places for some ideas and there are just way to many opinions to search through. Hahaha
I will be doing some light tracking this summer with the car and I do do a lot of spirited driving. I drive the car year round so I need something that can handle all of those things. So I am in search for a all season tire or maybe a summer tire that isn't bad in the rain.
Thanks for any advice you all give me I have about $600-$700 to spend.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all around driving + tracking is a real tough combination.

Good all-season tires would be the Continental DWS.

For a summer tire, I'd get a set of Re-11As, but you'd need a set of beater rims with all seasons when winter comes around.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks Spets I will look into those. Yeah I have a few ideas on summer tires but they are more of a track tire. Its the toyo r1rs and the BS Rivals. Yeah I might end up getting some rims for winter.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 PM

Can't go wrong with Dunlop ZII's. They fall within your price range too, as long as you're running s2000 sizes.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the goodyear duratracs
Old 02-18-2014, 11:44 PM

As a year round tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are pretty good (as an overall year round) imo, I am running them on AP2 V1s. The have since been replaced by the Pilot Sport A/S 3, which I believe to be decent as well.

My review of them: I have never driven them in the snow, however, and they are not very good when the road is icy/frosty with temps in the 20's--or perhaps my driving skills
There are far better tires for winter, and far better tires for summer, but then again there isn't going to be one tire that offers you good snow/ice traction with super good grip like an extreme performance tire.There isn't however, a better tire for heavy rain that I am aware of--at least not one that I have driven on in the (ultra high) all season performance category. I have been caught in a few complete downpours, and never once have had any issues at all. I also bought these tires for my RWD Firehawk I used to have, and I went from having no confidence in the rain to complete confidence. The other thing that makes owning this set bearable is having another set of wheels with aggressive Hankook RS3's for summer. Edit :Also, I would definitely not go to the track with all season tires, as they are not going to offer you the kind of grip you are looking for on a nice warm day.

With that said, I'd go with the RE-11A, ZII, or perhaps Michelin Pilot Super Sport if you do a lot of spirited driving in the summer, and just make sure to take it easier cornering during the winter months, especially when the temps are below 40 degrees--and try to limit the driving over any kind of snow/ice if possible with such tires.

I would try to avoid one set as a "do it all tire", if you are going to track your car *and drive it in snow/ice. For that, two sets would be highly advised--you shouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg on a winter set.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta be honest with yourself on how many HPDEs you're going to do, they're hard on the sticky tires but will destroy all seasons. On the winter end of the spectrum, there isn't an all season tire that'd survive a track day and be anything approaching respectable in heavy rain or snow.

You can see where this is going- pick up something in the neighborhood of the RE-11a or Star Specs that are fantastic summer tires, and something like the Dunlop Winter Sport M3/3D for winter on cheap wheels (stock AP1 wheels should run $200ish). You get the performance you want/need, it takes all of 30min to switch tires if snow shows up unexpectedly, and you don't have to pay someone to swap tires on a common set of wheels twice a year. It's a few hundred dollars more, but well worth it in my opinion and experience
Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 AM

+1 what Bahula03 said. Two sets of rims is the best idea.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by spets
+1 what Bahula03 said. Two sets of rims is the best idea.
Thanks for all the info everyone. I ended up getting a set of the AP1 wheels with newer tires on then for $250. I plan on using them for the track and then buying the DWS tires for my daily driving.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM

Nice, $250 is a steal

Quick Reply: Recommended Tires