Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Quirky engine rattle on start-up

Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quirky engine rattle on start-up

I started hearing this back in December. Thought it was a loose exhaust all along so never bothered with it until recently.

Sounds like a metallic rattle on start-up. Doesn't happen all the time. Happens less frequently when I start-up first thing in the morning. Actually, very rare. Usually rears in its ugly head after the car's warmed up and I start it again after a stop.

The valves have been adjusted just fine. Putting a stethoscope thing to the engine, its definitely coming from within the engine. Not at the top of the valve cover, but more towards the bottom half of the engine from the front. Timing chain? Who knows.

Wondering if any others here have heard the same noise. The noise goes away after I drive the car.

My car's being checked out by my trusted Honda Bellevue friend, but they're new to this scenario so we'll see what happens. DSM is going to come listen to the noise to commission an engine tear-down.

Never over-revved. Pretty much use the car within its streetable limits all the time.

Looks like I'll be the guinea pig, again.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 05-10-2004, 12:20 PM

I know you and I have been PM'ing on this, but I thought I throw this out publicly.

My issue, while on the surface sounds like yours, appears to be exactly opposite. For a while now I have been hearing a short metallic rattle when starting the engine, but also only on occasion. This sound is definitely coming from the engine.

However, unlike you, mine ONLY happens when the car is "cold" either first thing in the morning or after it has been sitting all day while I am at work. Strangely it does not happen all of the time and I'd estimate it occurs about 60% of the time. Cold weather (rare where I live), hot weather, it doesn't matter.

The sound lasts about a second and outside of the annoyance of it, I've noticed no other issue with the car or performance. Given how much time is required for it to be sitting and the fact that it is still somewhat of a crapshoot if it will happen or not, I've not brought it up with Honda. I just don't see any reasonable way I can reproduce this for them.

I'd love to know what this is. I am hoping it is nothing serious as I plan to trade the car at year's end.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of my many rattles...

Your results may vary but when cold starting my engine the header collector/catalytic converter interface rattles. It sounds like the engine is rattling, but after placing the car on jackstands I was able to narrow the issue down.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerrypeterson
One of my many rattles...

Your results may vary but when cold starting my engine the header collector/catalytic converter interface rattles.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:54 PM

The supercharger may have been a contributing factor in my case. Not that it excludes a possible design defect, but I'd have a hard time blaming Honda in this case.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:11 PM

put the stethoscope thing to the engine and it's definitely coming from inside the engine and the noise is not even a pleasant "s2000 noise."
Old 05-10-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by WRS2K
put the stethoscope thing to the engine and it's definitely coming from inside the engine and the noise is not even a pleasant "s2000 noise."
Suppose now would be a good time to stop using the intake as a piggie bank for your change.

Le Bummer. This might be a reach but did you perform a compression check and/or a leakdown test?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:33 PM

I wonder....

I started my car up on Saturday and thought I heard a metallic rattle. I was hoping I was hearing things...
Old 05-10-2004, 03:38 PM

it's been getting a bit worse and plateauing since december when i first detected the noise.

i don't know what it is, but phil, Seattle's DSM is going to come in to listen to the sound and we'll go from there. i want a new engine!
Old 05-10-2004, 03:41 PM

My engine, etc., is bone stock. I agree that it is not a pleasant S2000 sound. It sounds like loud clanking metal that anyone within 50 feet could probably hear.

Quick Reply: Quirky engine rattle on start-up