Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Preferred Celluar Phone Services in Seattle

Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been with Sprint PCS for 5+ years with the same number. Overall, I've been very happy with their service.

But my contract is up next month and was wondering if anyone here had any hook-ups with other carriers.

I get a 25 percent discount through Sprint PCS (earlier hook-ups) and am looking for something similar to the plan I have now which is the following:

1000 anytime minutes
3000 nights and weekends starting at 8PM
Free PCS-to-PCS calls
Nationwide
$39.99 a month --> ~$49-51 w/ taxes and my occassional 411s

Should I stick around or are there better options out there? More anytime minutes would be cool, but only once have I gone over 1000 minutes and I hover around ~800 of peak usage. But it's all interconnected so basically, the new plan would have to offer more for the same price or less.

And it'd be cool to get into the camera phone thing. My phone is very simple, but again, no complaints if I don't get the latest whiz bang technology.

All of this is poppycock if I can't carry the same number over to the new carrier.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

First, you can carry your number over to any carrier out there, so don't worry about that issue.

Second, I don't have any hookups, so I can't help you there, but I can give recommendations based both on personal experience as well as a number of years in the industry on which carriers are the best in the Seattle area.

Sprint, according to several people that I know that use it extensively is pretty solid. Coverage areas aren't fantastic, but seem pretty good.

Cingular is very much like AT&T Wireless (especially since they're buying AT&T now), but the customer service as well as service area seems to be a bit more comprehensive.

Nextel has good coverage in many places that other carriers simply don't, but the service is definitely built more around the 2 way service than the cell service.

Verizon is my current carrier. They have the best coverage area in the region. I've also been happy with the level of customer service that I've received thus far.

AT&T Wireless is, without a doubt, the worst network in the nation. The services they offer are the sexiest and the phones are first rate, but the network blows. The dead spots in their network are big enough to apply for their own statehood. Couple that with declining standards of customer service and it's pretty clear why they have been in negotiations with Cingular for more than 2 years to be bought out. I was a customer with AT&T since sometime in 1996 and have had my same current number with them since 1998. I was also an employee with them on 2 separate occasions. I left them as an employee for the last time a couple years ago and left them as a customer in December.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have T-Mobile and their phones and customer service are top-notch. But I doubt you will find anything similar to the plan that you have for the price you listed.

If you do decide to upgrade plans, go through Amazon.com as they typically have the latest phones and offer not only the service provider rebates but their own as well. I saved over $200 on the same phone from Amazon vs. the T-mobile store. They sell you the phone and service and then the carrier takes over month by month.

My 0.02 cents....
Old 04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Former Moderator

I can't believe I forgot to list T-Mobile (or should I call them Deutche Telekom)...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:52 AM

i get 20% off at verizon.....cause i have the "cat" password to use!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:21 AM

I have NOT had the best of luck with T-mobile for the past 4 years that I've been with them (previously Voicestream). Their coverage completely sucks (very noticeable when talking while driving), and I've always had problems with occasional dropped calls (for no apparent reason). On the other hand, their coverage has slowly been getting better, and I've always been impressed with their rate plans. But sometimes you get what you pay for.

Erick
Old 04-20-2004, 11:45 AM

if its been good for you, i say stick with sprint. i believe only at&t will match those minutes, perhaps t-mobile. both of which, i believe, are sub-par. and 8pm nights/weekends are a thing of the past with current carriers (except t-mobile or you have to pay extra each month) something like that. i haven't been in the game for a while. im still alive and kickin on my verizon plan. verizon is good stuff for now.

and number portability has some issues, from what i remember. some numbers are not portable. i heard this on some radio talk show, clark howard i believe.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Former Moderator

Numbers in all major markets (of which Seattle is one) should be portable. Some carriers make the process a bit difficult, but for the most part it seems to be pretty smooth from my experiences.

After 8 years in the telecom industry I must admit I was surprised how easy it went...
Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 AM

I liken my desire to switch carriers to my wheel switch-a-roo itch.

Don't really need it cuz I'm happy with what I've got, but I've been with these guys for so long!

I've rarely had dropped calls with Sprint. Customer service is pretty excellent, but I'm considered a "business" plan so who knows. My rates are only that good because I went through their surreptitious "retention program." You basically call up, be very courteous, and build a case why you're not happy with the current service, and they figure it costs them more to court a new customer than keeping an existing one and voila... you got yourself a deal.

With all that said, I'm not a big fan of Sprint's phone selections. Camera phones are still a bit bulky. And I'm very particular about ringer tones. Don't want Justin Timberlake, don't want funky crescendo ringers... just want a classic ring as these polyphonic ringers aren't high pitched enough to pierce through my car's exhaust drone.

So no one's got the hook-ups, eh? I might just take the free phone rebate and sign up for another year or keep my existing phone and go month-to-month.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 PM

if you're down with sprint, i say to get that samsung a600. i got some nerdy engineer hyungs at my church (boeing and msft), and they're all sporting this camera phone. camera angle is on a swivel (up and down) and you can turn the screen around and all that good stuff. i dunno, looks pretty good to me. and doesnt seem all too bulky considering its a flip phone.

IMO, sprint has the better phones for CDMA service providers (verizon phones stink)

Quick Reply: Preferred Celluar Phone Services in Seattle