Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

People with upgraded brakes: Are you uneasy driving around because...

Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I do a slow Integra GS-R...

I do have different tires on than I did when I had the stock brake pads. I think is really interesting how it 'feels' as though the car is stopping a lot faster. The car also pitches forward a lot more than it did with the stock pads. I haven't needed to engage ABS (yet) either which I did do with the old brakes. Also how do companies say that you can stop faster with different pads/rotors? Is it because they can raise the braking pressure that is needed to engage ABS/lock the wheels?

I would definitely be interested in reading more about this. I am convinced that slotted/drilled rotors are the the way to go though
Old 04-16-2002, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chimmy
[B].

Why can't everyone know how to drive?
Old 04-16-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chimmy, I drove a GSR until it was stolen about 4 months ago. Now that I'm driving an S2000, I think the thieves did me a favor. But then my bank account is alot lighter. The S2K has substantially more stopping power on the stock S02s then my Integra did on Dunlop SP8000s.

To put it pseudo-scientifically:

stopping_force = min(breaking_friction | tire_friction)

So upgrading your breaks will only improve your breaking distances if it is the weaker of the two. Ususlly tire friciton with the road is the limiting factor. Tire_friction is affected by many factors: tire type, tempeture, road surface, load on the wheel, etc. So yes, changing to better tires will affect stopping force unless the breaks are too weak. Changing either one will change the feel of the breaks and may provide the perception of increased stopping force, when in reality minimum stopping distance is unchanged.

The companies selling breaks are being a little disingenuous in their adds. Only in certain conditions will upgrading breaks help stopping distance. (ie. hot sticky tires, weak breaks, carrying a heavy load, whatever)

How your breaks handle heat buildup is another issue. Changing the breaks will make a major impact here, but this is usually only an issue on a race track (or decending a mountain pass with a load).

It's my understanding that slotted drilled rotors are only useful for cooling the rotor/pads. Again, only an issue on the track.

Hope that helps.

- Professor Michael
'00 silver/black
Old 04-17-2002, 02:25 PM

You want to learn a lot about brakes? Check out this (30 page) thread on altimas.net. Quite the flame war, but it does contain a lot of good info about the science and practical aspects of braking. If you actually read through a lot of it, it is pretty entertaining as well