Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Pacific Raceways walkthrough

Old 04-24-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by waltk88
How about you Michael? Are you running race tires or streets?
I'm on Kumho Victoracers. Don't pay too much attention to the speeds in my post. They are a rough, conservative guide. I'm sure a good driver in my car would see significantly higher speeds at several points, even on street tires. For instance, I said "You can enter 5a at 60+ mph, or as fast as you dare." I've actually seen 70mph at the 5a turn in before. But that leaves a pretty narrow margin for error. I don't want someone out on their first trackday thinking "I know this can be done at XXmph" and winding up in the gravel trap, or worse.

No one should be driving by the speedometer.

- Michael
Old 04-24-2003, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice!

All the speeds listed are just a rough idea; everyone's car and skill are different.

These are the steps you should follow, in order, when trying a new track:

1) learn the line; usually by having an instructor with you, but also by following experienced drivers
2) get smooth; be sure you can handle all the transitions without upsetting the car
3) gradually add speed, maintaining smoothness; if things get rough or squirrely, back off the speed. Remember that braking and turn-in points will have to change as speed is added.

Throughout the process it's very important to keep your vision as far ahead as possible. Don't look at the next cone, look beyond to the next mark and the one beyond that.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:54 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Tedster
Guillaume, Ray, who's got some other thoughts?
Nice write-up Ted, pretty much covered it all ............. except .......... STEVE, braking for turn 5a is HAIRYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RT

Nice write-up Ted, pretty much covered it all ............. except .......... STEVE, braking for turn 5a is HAIRYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, that's why the instructors say to do all your braking before the bend before the turn-in to 5a. You can do your downshift to 3rd in between, but not much braking.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:07 AM

In short, 3A, 3B and 8 are "slow turns", ie trail braking, ie weight on the front wheels; the others are "fast turns", ie weight on the rear wheels. It is harder to classify turn 2 either way, but if coming in too hot, it becomes a trail braking corner for sure
Old 10-13-2003, 07:47 AM

Given that I'm heading to Pacific Raceways in two weeks, this is a very helpful resource. Thank you for taking the time to document and share your experience of the track. This sort of thing is invaluable!

CB

Turbonetics TO4B 60:1 Ball Bearing Turbo; Tial 46mm Wastegate and 50mm Blowoff Valve; GReddy EGT and Boost Warning Gauges; Speedcraft Front Mounted Intercooler, Mandrel Bent Tubing, 3 Inch Down Pipe, and 3" Stainless Exhaust; A'PEXi N1 Mufflers; AEM EMS, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Wideband O2 Sensor; RC Engineering 550 Injectors; Holly 250 Forced Induction Fuel Pump; Oil Filter Relocation Kit with Stainless Steel Lines; Clutchmaster Stage 3 Clutch; Toda Lightweight Flywheel; Mugen Radiator Cap, Thermostat, and Fan Switch; Upgraded Oil Bolts; Hecash Brake Ducting; Competch Stainless Steel Brake Lines; WorkMeister S2R 18" Wheels; Spoon X-Brace; Muz Shift Knob; Lucid's Front and Rear Speakers; 2002 Stereo Head Unit; Rick's Front Badge; JDM Clear Side Markers; Uber Cool Nurburgring Decal
Old 10-13-2003, 10:08 AM

Glad to be of help!

Be sure to come back here after your event and add your thoughts and comments.

The line discussion that several of you were having on PIR was very interesting. If one of you had the time, it would be great if you started a new thread for PIR turn discussion and walkthrough. There are several of us who could chip in our comments, and I'll link it in to the Track Info thread.

Thanks,

Ted
Old 10-14-2003, 08:44 AM

I'd be happy to take a first stab at this, but it may make more sense to solicit one of the guys who's driven PIR more than once... :-)
Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 AM

Make sense? You're talking about a track that has no less than three numbering schemes for its turns!

Whoever starts it, others are sure to jump in with their own thoughts and additions. If I get time, I might start it, but with a bunch of us going to Spokane soon, writing a walkthrough for that track is my priority. And getting a video posted.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:29 AM

Your wish is, well, my excuse to avoid doing some real work...

See the new thread on PIR.

Best,
CB

Quick Reply: Pacific Raceways walkthrough