Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Our government...

Old 04-08-2011 | 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our government...

I'm just wondering if anybody else besides me that's getting screwed over by this mayhem??? Mailman, shipyard, cops, etc. I'm a veteran of the Navy. I remember in TAPS class just before getting out. They told all of us "the military is a steady pay, you're going to have trouble in the civilian life." Psssh! Well look what's happening. I'm venting because I just started as a full time student using the VA benefits and I haven't gotten payed yet. I'm pretty sure some of you are feeling the pain. My brother is in the army and hasn't been payed since last, last year. I've also been told some military people in Iraq aren't getting payed in that hostile environment. This country needs to stop acting like the police of the world!!!
Old 04-08-2011 | 03:56 PM

Yea, it sucks. Depends on what happens at midnight. If the Gov't do shut down they have until Midnight Tuesday to come up with something if not by than, than we will relieve half your mid month paychecks on the 15th. If they do reach a agreement by than our paychecks won't be effected. Military still report for duty regardless. Hopefully others including myself won't be affected by this too much but it could last more than days like back in '95 when they shut down for weeks.
Old 04-08-2011 | 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know several people who are not getting paid. The S**t part is that they always cut items that people are going to be upset about, that way we will allow them to raise taxes. I really doubt that teachers, police officers and military personnel are the biggest usages of money, but they are always first on the chopping block because we will never let them go unfunded for long. So I guess that we are going to raise taxes again instead of cutting other things, or not starting new wars every other year.

That said, I do think that raising taxes for almost EVERYONE would not be a terrible thing. I think that it is ridiculous how far in debt our country is.

Not that I really want to stir the pot on insanity that I just stirred...
Old 04-08-2011 | 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by SketchdaS
This country needs to stop acting like the police of the world!!!
without our countries strong love for world policement a lot of you military brahs would be out of a job. If you look back to the last time this happened in 1996, everyone was paid back pay, which will more than likely happen this time. Unless you're living paycheck to paycheck nothing will change and you will more than likely get your money.

And luder, they aren't fighting over the budget for military, teachers, or cops. They're fighting over public funding for planned parenthood ie abortions
Old 04-08-2011 | 09:02 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin
Originally Posted by SketchdaS' timestamp='1302302835' post='20446067

And luder, they aren't fighting over the budget for military, teachers, or cops. They're fighting over public funding for planned parenthood ie abortions
I wasn't going to chime in but, this very thing hit a soar spot for me. Its fundamentally wrong to hold the American people hostage to push social conservative ideals which have no place in politics to begin with(thanks teabaggers)This funding for Planned Parenthood is a drop in the bucket comparatively mind you and could have made up the amount with something else, like I don't know military spending maybe?? Jesus Christ!! We are setting some new precedence and its not in a favorable direction for people in this country. Unbelievable!

Watch this link bellow of a congress woman speak before the house on the issue

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=12951080
Old 04-08-2011 | 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin' timestamp='1302324516' post='20446887
[quote name='SketchdaS' timestamp='1302302835' post='20446067']

I wasn't going to chime in but, this very thing hit a soar spot for me. Its fundamentally wrong to hold the American people hostage to push social conservative ideals which have no place in politics to begin with(thanks teabaggers)This funding for Planned Parenthood is a drop in the bucket comparatively mind you and could have made up the amount with something else, like I don't know military spending maybe?? Jesus Christ!! We are setting some new precedence and its not in a favorable direction for people in this country. Unbelievable!

[/quote]

I'm not sure if you quoted me thinking I was supporting this lock-up over planned parenthood spending, but I would agree with you. It looks like they got together a budget and cut about 30 billion so this thread is now obsolete.
Old 04-08-2011 | 09:42 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1302325368' post='20446913
[quote name='misterwaterfallin' timestamp='1302324516' post='20446887']
[quote name='SketchdaS' timestamp='1302302835' post='20446067']

[/quote]

I'm not sure if you quoted me thinking I was supporting this lock-up over planned parenthood spending, but I would agree with you. It looks like they got together a budget and cut about 30 billion so this thread is now obsolete.
[/quote]

No I wasnt.

Except that Planned Parenthood isn't getting funded so the topic isn't obsolete. 2 points for the social conservative tea baggers using the vice of our budget cuts to pass their ass backwards agenda on the American people with removing funding for Planned parenthood, becuase they don't agree with pro choice, even though the government isn't legally able to pay for the procedure. Strange and rather frighting times. I just hope the fiscal conservatives realize the compromise isn't worth the small amount of savings compared to the large social impact. Republican party is rather divided becuase of the tea baggers social agenda, its really sad.
Old 04-08-2011 | 10:17 PM

I've got to jump in here...I think both sides are acting like idiots in some ways. Democrats had a majority before the Nov elections and had the power to pass a budget and didn't. No excuses. Holding jobs hostage over a small (in a big picture sort of way...billions is not a small amount) amount of money is childish.

And lets get our facts straight. Luder...The 3 biggest draws on the Feds budget is Social Security, Medicare and guess what else? Defense.

And to Junky... Read this: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf Here are the highlights b/c I doubt you'll read it:

Annual abortions performed at Planned Parenthood: 305,310
Average cost of abortion: $450
Total income from abortions: $137,389,500
Total health center income: $374,700,000

Planned Parenthood and the truckload of money the govt sends its way is a drop in the bucket as far as money goes. That doesn't mean it is okay to pay for it with my taxes (or anyone elses). They can raise money privately to fund their programs....and if they can't and they go away then welcome to the American dream. If you can't run a business that can sustain itself someone else will. And don't kid yourself by trying to tell anyone that Planned Parenthood is providing primary care for women...they don't even cover basic care like mammograms.
Old 04-08-2011 | 11:09 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Fastfour
I've got to jump in here...I think both sides are acting like idiots in some ways. Democrats had a majority before the Nov elections and had the power to pass a budget and didn't. No excuses. Holding jobs hostage over a small (in a big picture sort of way...billions is not a small amount) amount of money is childish.

And lets get our facts straight. Luder...The 3 biggest draws on the Feds budget is Social Security, Medicare and guess what else? Defense.

And to Junky... Read this: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf Here are the highlights b/c I doubt you'll read it:

Annual abortions performed at Planned Parenthood: 305,310
Average cost of abortion: $450
Total income from abortions: $137,389,500
Total health center income: $374,700,000

Planned Parenthood and the truckload of money the govt sends its way is a drop in the bucket as far as money goes. That doesn't mean it is okay to pay for it with my taxes (or anyone elses). They can raise money privately to fund their programs....and if they can't and they go away then welcome to the American dream. If you can't run a business that can sustain itself someone else will. And don't kid yourself by trying to tell anyone that Planned Parenthood is providing primary care for women...they don't even cover basic care like mammograms.
Disturbing, since when is the Puget Sound Libertarian in thinking? Well like most fiscal conservatives, your looking at this from a pure buisness standpoint, the problem is this country isn't just a buisness, Clearly we are forced to cut spending, but when we go through slashing deep social impacting programs like Education, or in this case Planned Parent hood, the ramifications reach much further then the little money saved up front. And as mentioned its money savings isn't the main driving force in the case of Planned parenthood, its the religious one set forth by the Republican teabaggers we get to deal with now infecting our politics. Welcome to the ass backwards politics of the 21st century, so much incompetents and lack of fore site its getting rather scary. If there were only two roads to take, I'd rather have this country continue to blow out from the seems in debt, then become the envisioned world of the social conservatives, who feel its their right to undermine the constitution and impose their views into law for all of us to abide under. And I'd hope every American feels that way.

Tactics, its all cheap tactics, the higher the dollar amount the tea bagger Reps can get on the cut, the more social programs they can eliminate and put in forth their social objective, meanwhile the average guy looks at it from the fiscal prospective, getting what they think is best, ignoring or not perceiving the bigger impending social problems underway.
Old 04-09-2011 | 10:45 AM

Disturbing, since when is the Puget Sound Libertarian in thinking?
I'm not sure I know what you mean by that.

Well like most fiscal conservatives, your looking at this from a pure buisness standpoint, the problem is this country isn't just a buisness, Clearly we are forced to cut spending, but when we go through slashing deep social impacting programs like Education, or in this case Planned Parent hood, the ramifications reach much further then the little money saved up front.
Take a look at the billions (maybe more) of dollars poured into education since the 1970's and the formation of the NEA. While you're doing that take a look at how flat our student performance scores have been. Then take a look at how the rest of the world is performing. You can't make the argument that social programs and education are the same thing...and you certainly can't say that education is being slashed b/c I don't see it. If the school systmes can't make due w/ growing amounts of dollars spent on them they are doing it incorrectly. Watch Waiting for Superman. It will make you sick.

And as mentioned its money savings isn't the main driving force in the case of Planned parenthood, its the religious one set forth by the Republican teabaggers we get to deal with now infecting our politics.
If there were only two roads to take, I'd rather have this country continue to blow out from the seems in debt, then become the envisioned world of the social conservatives, who feel its their right to undermine the constitution and impose their views into law for all of us to abide under. And I'd hope every American feels that way.
Envisioned world of the social conservatives after we blow out at the seams? Please explain...and please do explain how the constitution is being undermined....this is the part I'm most excited to hear.

Quick Reply: Our government...