Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

OT Digital Camera Question

Old 12-02-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Digital Camera Question

Sorry for the off topic post, but I know quite a few of you are experts on the subject.

I am looking to get a camera AROUND $200 (read, not much more). I have no idea what I should be looking for. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm...my parents have a Canon S220 (or something close to that model #) that is in that price range and not too shabby. I believe it's a 2 mega pixel camera...
Old 12-02-2002, 02:44 PM

I bought a fairly cheap Olympus for about $260. Once you buy the other goodies like memory card and rechargeable batteries, it jumped to about $400 total cost. The camera is a 2 megapixel, 3X optical, and 9X digital. I can look up the model when I get home if you are interested. I bought this almost a year ago, so there may be better deals out there or you may get more camera for the $$$.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Models, facts, etc. are appreciated.

My biggest concerns were:

What format the pics save as (I prefer .jpg, and do not want to have to convert from .bmp or whatever)

Speed of pic (How bad the delay is from the time you press the button)

Clarity

And obviously cost
Old 12-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll have to dig up the specs, but I'll pass 'em along as soon as I find 'em. The Canon isn't particularly fast, and there is a "substantial" delay (1 second, maybe?) for the picture to snap when you press the button. Keep in mind that theirs is a couple years old now, so the newer ones might be faster. The pics DO save as JPG files, though...
Old 12-02-2002, 03:32 PM

the best digital camera comparo site out there (IMO) is http://www.steves-digicams.com

Specs, reviews, etc, etc. VERY comprehensive.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:34 PM

hmmm ... after that link, click "Camera Reviews", then click on "2-Megapixel". Those are ~$200 new. Used, they should be under $200, you might even be able to get a lower end 3 megapixel ...
Old 12-02-2002, 04:21 PM

here are some questions to help narrow down what's important to you in a digicam:

1) what do you want to do with the pictures? post pictures on the web? what size? prints? what size?

2) what kind of things will you take pictures of? people? scenery? small objects? fast action?

The answers to group 1) should help you get an idea if you can do with a 2 megapixel camera or need more. The answers to group 2) should help you focus on the features that are important to you (speed, flash, zoom range, macro).

No camera does everything well, so you have to focus on what's important to you.

Make sure that there is a connection method to your computer that works.

Don't even look at the 'digital zoom' numbers; you can do the same thing (crop and enlarge) better with freeware image editing software.

Ted
Old 12-02-2002, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tedster
[B]here are some questions to help narrow down what's important to you in a digicam:

"1) what do you want to do with the pictures? post pictures on the web? what size? prints? what size?"
Mostly just web stuff. They do not have to be huge or anything like that. MAYBE one day I will want to make one into an 8X10 photo or something.

"2) what kind of things will you take pictures of? people? scenery? small objects? fast action? "
Everything to be honest. Fast boating pictures, car racing, family photos, etc.

"Make sure that there is a connection method to your computer that works. "
I can use my USB port. As I am researching I am finding features that appeal even more. I really like the idea of hooking up to the video feed on a TV, and I do like the option of making a short MPG. So far in the $200 range, the best one I have seen yet is a Sony DSCP31.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 12-02-2002, 08:24 PM

For web stuff and maybe small prints, 2 MB is probably sufficient.

Be sure to try cameras out in person to see what the shutter lag is, and how fast (or slow) the cycle time is. Those will make a huge difference in shooting any kind of action. Try having someone run past you and see if you can get a shot of them. Harder than it sounds with most digital cameras.

Also read reviews to see how good the flash, red-eye reduction, low light performance, marco, etc. are.

Quick Reply: OT Digital Camera Question