Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Odd behavior

Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd behavior

Last Monday, my check engine light came on in the morning.
I made an appointment at local indy shop that I usually take my car to. (Saturday was the day for appointment)
With the TAB being expired this month, I wanted to get things done early to get my car ready for inspection.
As the saturday morning arrived, I was driving to the mechanic's garage then my check engine light went off.
I did not drive the car from Monday-Saturday morning because when I pulled the code frmo O'reilly, it was P0124 (it was regarding about O2 sensor).
I wasn't sure whether it was the upstream or downstream one, so I wanted to diagnose the problem with mechanic.
Anyhow, on the way to garage, the CEL went off, so I decided to head to emission place instead.
Passed the emission just fine, but still went to garage after I passed the emission.
Since the CEL was off, him and I decided not to diagnose it as the CEL wasn't on and we thought its not an active code, yet.

However, today, the CEL came on again. It still behaves the same way (behavior of not going past 3k rpm, I assume this is what's called limp mode).
I searched few times on this forum, as well as on google, people warned me not to drive as it may hurt the catalytic converter, as well as running rich.

This only happens when outside is cold.
That's the issue. It only happens when its cold outside. Last time when the CEL came on, it was the day when we had little sprinkles of snow.
Today as well, too. It was quite cold outside.
I'm assuming the CEL may go off tomorrow morning when I drive (not 100% sure, but that's what happened last time, right?... )
Is this something that I should worry about? I assume this doesn't happen to you guys, though.

I would post it on other thread where I can ask mechanical question, but I thought maybe I would get better attention here since lesser new thread pops up.
let me know what you guys think about it. I am hesitant to drive the car at the moment, but this odd behavior is just funny to me.
I am actually considering just replacing both sensor, but I just want to make sure that's the real problem, and not just the 'cold temperature funny behavior' thing.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Next time your cel comes on check it with the obd2 scanner again at one of the parts stores, it should specify if its a primary or secondary (bank 1 fault or bank 2) 02 sensors. The Primary (bank 1) is the one on the header and my guess is the one giving you the problem.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the CEL checked anyway, even if the light is not on, there should be a code stored in the ECU.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM

The code was P0132.
I read numerous threads about it.
Whether it was on here or on other forums or google.

It says Bank 1 Sensor 1.
I assumed it was the one nearby the header as well.

Thanks for your guys input and comments.
Any more inputs? I assume this is an easy fix if that's the only problem.
I just don't understand why this only happens in cold weather.

After the CEL has cleared by itself, I drove the S just fine for 3 weeks.
then it decided to pop up last night, and with the same "cold" weather.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM

It's possible you got a bad wiring connection? Cold causes things to contract. I'd unplug the 02 sensor make sure the plugs are clean with no corrosion. might not fix anything but it's a simple step.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by sadkorean34
The code was P0132.
It says Bank 1 Sensor 1.
I assumed it was the one nearby the header as well.
Ok well there you go. If it continues to be a problem, which it sounds like it is (and you keep getting the same code) I think its safe to consider replacing that primary 02 sensor now. I will tell you though, just doing this recently myself, these sensors are outrageously expensive at Honda dealership if you were to get one from them ($350 each) Denso and Bosch both can be found at Auto Zone from $60- $150 each depending on if you want a pnp or a universal splice in connector. I will tell you that the connector for this sensor is very difficult to get to and I was thankful to just cut the wire where I could access it and splice in myself with the universal sensor, not to mention it was only $60. Good luck
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM

id test with a known good used one. thats just me.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM

i am not 100% sure on this but primary o2 sensor (closer to your engine) is used when engine is cold and secondary (further away from engine) is used after engine is fully warmed up. so may be your primary is going bad.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM

primary is used all the time to set the air/fuel ratio, not just when it's cold. secondary is just for emissions.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM

CEL just cleared itself off.
This is after 2 cycles of driving and turning car on and off.
Total of about 12 miles driven.

Quick Reply: Odd behavior