Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

New tires , now an alignment

Old 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

500 tread wear rating, and "grip" in the same sentence is
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luder555
^ its nice seeing people buy tires that are worth getting. i can't stand seeing $120-150 tires on a car that somebody drives hard.
so its ignorant to think that you should have a tire on a car that is up to the type of driving that you do?
The statement was a logical failure because it highlighted price as a key characteristic. To assume that price has anything what-so-ever to do with performance is ignorant. Price is subjective and is just as relevant to performance as the sidewall color of the tire.

The majority of real deal performance tires in those sizes generally fall in the $120-180 range. The PS2 is a street tire. It's a better fit for a commute than it is performance driving.

first off i never said that there was anything wrong with the star specs.
The Star Specs fall within the price range you declared. Making them entirely relevent to the discusssion.

well go have fun with your sh*ty $100 tires, and when you push too hard, make a mistake and someone gets hurt, don't try to blame it on bad road condition or some dumb @$$ pulling out in front of you.
You can't blame this on tires. These types of incidents are a failure of the driver.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Welcome to the Pac NW beat down. Its a fun bunch

Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I started this...
I like PS2 tires - I have a set of PS2 for my TL-S for the summer and a set of PA2 for winter driving (mounted on a second set of TL-S wheels). My intent is to run the same on the S2000 - PA2 on 949 Racing 6ULR rims for next winter.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

You're only the OP!

PS2s (not the A/S) are definitely a good way to go for summer tires.

Those 6ULRs are tempting, aren't they?

I'm thinking the 17x9 +63 with 255s front and rear might be a nice setup with a big front bar...
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Its too bad no one makes a 275(30-35)17, I'd run that in a heartbeat. 275/40 is a bit cumbersome in fitment and gearing.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind guys that I have absolutely nothing against PS2 tires. Porsches use them as OEMs on some of their cars, and they're great. But you're also paying that extra $100 per tire as the name has some cachet. Michelin tires are often expensive (though strangely I run them on my track bike, they are that good).
Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

^^^ what ever you PS2 hater!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM

first off i never said that there was anything wrong with the star specs.

No, but you did go on a diatribe about hating cheap tires. Star Specs are cheap, you hate them?

. second you're talking about the tire rack, their tire rating change monthly and if you look a bit deaper you just might find that the tires that they make more money on seem to rate higher than they should be.

The ratings image I posted are based on customer reviews, not what Tire Rack thinks.

i'm sorry that i offended you and your tires, but feel free to try and defend their honor some more by trying to twist what i am saying into what you think you are hearing.

Not offended, and I don't have Star Specs. Just hate to see misinformation and thoughtless rants.

My original comment would have been the same whether you bought the ps2, star specs, gsd3, ps as plus, pilot sport cup, toyo 888, or several other tires that are performance oriented

Umm, no it wouldn't since your original comment was that you couldn't stand seeing people buy cheap tires. Star Specs are cheap tires.

instead of doing what so many other people seem to do these days and shop based on the lowest price

What's wrong with this method? Why would you pay more for a tire that is not any better? That just sounds really stupid to me.

ok.... so with even more words being put in my mouth let me take one step backwards, so that hopefully i will be able try to say what i was trying to say and not have someone tell me what i'm trying to say.

the biggest point that you seem to be stuck on was use of the word cheap. so let me rephrase that to crappy. i can't stand it when people put crappy tires on a sporty car that they like to drive aggressively. so for those of you that are too slow to understand my initial statement, that is what i meant.

as for the price difference between the star spec and the ps2, you need to look at more than just performance numbers. having driven on both, and loved both i can tell you that in many ways they are very different tires. a good analogy would be an s2k vs a boxter. they are both quick cars that handle very well and have very similar performance numbers. the difference is how they do it. the s2k will be very raw, and you feel every bump in the road. the porsche will be much smoother and civilized with a better ride quality and more livable on a daily basis. just like a raw sports car and a luxury sports car these tires are different in that one can deliver high end performance, and the other can deliver just as much performance, but also offers a better ride, and far less road noise. and just like the porsche, bmw, amg merc, or other luxury performance cars, you pay more to get the whole package.

all of that said, if i were to buy either of these tires i would prolly go with the star spec, cause i don't mind the road noise. but to some people its more important to get the whole package, and thats why i personally do not mind paying rediculously high prices for the best tires there are.

as for calling the star spec tire cheap, i would honesty have to disagree with that statement. for rears you are going to par what? $140-175 depending how well you shop. thats a great price for how much performance you get, but thats all you get. you don't get an amazing ride quality, they make a lot of noise, and they wear out super quick. i am not saying that any other tires of equal performance will last longer, but i hardly call a $150 tire that will be luck to see 20k miles when the tires that i get have 95% of the grip in the dry, twice as much grip in the wet, and a 45k mile warranty that actually gets covered. ya they cost $30-40 more, but they last twice as long. so at the risk of putting words in your mouth you would be a fool to buy the star specs.

now that i have finished my rant, you may have another chance to yet again miss what i am saying, tell me what i am thinking, and then can we stop this pissing match and enjoy the fact that the OP put some killer tires on his car?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:18 AM

i can't stand seeing $120-150 tires on a car that somebody drives hard.
all of that said, if i were to buy either of these tires i would prolly go with the star spec,
so at the risk of putting words in your mouth you would be a fool to buy the star specs.
This stuff is hilarious. Thanks for the laughs

Remember, you chose the word "cheap." Cheap and crappy have very different meanings. I think that's why everyone is jumping all over you (that and you can't seem to agree with even yourself).

Quick Reply: New tires , now an alignment