Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

NASCAR Track

Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by standard63,Aug 17 2004, 01:55 PM
That's why I want a new track up here--smooth asphalt in a modern infield roadcourse! Build it and I will come!! (hopefully with a policy allowing stock rollhoops, and no aftermarket rollbar needed...) <--as long as I'm dreaming.
The track doesn't usually have anything to do with the tech requirements.

The best road courses are designed around the land they are on. Elevation changes, turns determined by the topography, etc. Just like the best roller coasters.

Infield road courses just don't have any soul. Which wouldn't stop me from wanting to drive one, though!

The best scenario is that the competition would help spur improvements to PR, and would give us more options and more chances to run. Maybe even some price competition.

The worst scenario is that it would pull so much business away from PR that they decide to just tear up the road course and concentrate on drag racing. Or maybe just sell the whole place to housing developers.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Aug 17 2004, 11:04 AM
Mike - I changed my sig just for you.

you should change your username to MikeinKent.

Imagine this scenario - two years from now Toyota runs a Camry in NASCAR. I'm at Darlington and the Camry wins it's first race. I'm not sure I'd like to be an Asian guy in that crowd.
Hook... Line.... AND... Sinker..!!

You crack me up Jeff. If Jerry wants to change my screen name to MikeinKent, I would be happy!!! Jerry, please let me know if you do... I do not want to lose my photo albums. And your new sig line rocks Jeff :-) I have never been so proud to be quoted!

Nobody got out of hand with snobby posts, but I could see them coming which is an insult to a few of us. People could make fun of pimped out S2000's looking ridiculous and obnoxious and it *could* be equally as *insulting*, but we are on an S2000 board so that is not fair.. I can think of a few S2000's that I think look like shit and are not actually *driven*, but I have the decency not to.

I did not even throw race out as an issue... You need to chill bro! I am not sure what decade you are living in, but pretty much all motorsports are multi-cultured now.

Just a few examples:

GP Motorcycle racing.. How many Asians and darn near every European country are stomping ass there?? We pray the one or two Americans even make it on the podium!

Formula 1.. This should be a no brainer. But now that they are coming to America.. Time for some STOMPING! (kidding)

American Motocross, do a search for James "Bubba" Stewart. He is a BLACK MX racer (the first of this caliber, and a breath of fresh air) that is taking the sport by storm!!! AND the fans cannot get enough of him and this is even more of a redneck white only sport!!! and in the '80's Chuck Sun (Asian) kicked ass in professional MX. Even the national track of Washougal, WA they have a jump named after him.

Willy T Ribbs.. Black Road Racer that kicked ass in the 90's.

Now in NASCAR Trucks, you have Bill Lester a black man driving a TOYOTA!!!! (how much of an oxymoron is that to your concerns??) And doing a damn good job... (and the fans LOVE him!) He was close to winning last weekend too where TOYOTA had 10K people and employees in the stands which I am certain were plenty of Asian folks.

I posted my pictures from my Vegas NASCAR trip last May on this BB, you guys should look in the crowd.. Times are changing, and motorsports that used to cater to a typical caucasian crowd, are diverse now.

I am hoping my message makes you or at least a few of you stop and think for a minute and quit being stereotypical and borderline racist.

If someone feels fear of being Asian in the stands of a race where a Toyota wins, I feel really sorry for the black folks in attendance when a black kid wins MX, or for the Germans in Japan when Schumacher sweeps another victory in Japan, or the Asians in Italy when they are riding a Honda and beat an Italian on a Ducati.

I doubt anybody has any time recently been scrutinized in the stands because of race. If you want to take that further, look at the Mariners.. Always open arms.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:25 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

uhhh.... comparing the Mariners to NASCAR is ridiculous, Mikey.

It's kind of like comparing the PGA Tour to the WWF.

I don't know what world you live in - but this is the one that some of us live in.

<'Death on the Fourth of July': Violent intolerance, American style

By Tim McNulty
Special to The Seattle Times

In the early hours of July 4, 2000, three young Vietnamese men vacationing from Seattle stopped at a Texaco mini-mart in the small coastal resort town of Ocean Shores. They were after a late-night snack to bring back to their hotel. What they found was a group of skinheads who waved a Confederate flag in their faces and taunted them with racial slurs and physical threats.

The Asian Americans found little concern for their plight among those in the store, where the clerk declined to call the police. In fear for his life, one of them, Minh Duc Hong, armed himself with two paring knives from a store shelf. Outside, when their car was blocked and his brother and friend were attacked, Hong interceded. Minutes later Christopher Kinison, the most hostile and aggressive member of the group, lay bleeding from 23 stab wounds. Two punctured his heart.

Ignoring the felony hate crime that precipitated the act, the Grays Harbor prosecutor charged Minh Hong with first-degree manslaughter. That fall the quiet Vietnamese student who worked in his parents' Bellevue diner stood trial in Montesano before an all-white jury.>

If you are trying to tell me race doesn't matter anymore - then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Have you been on some of the NASCAR fan boards? Some of the stuff posted there is absolutely frightening. Virulent racism.

I don't mean to get all preachy - but this shit if for real. It may never happen to you - but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:31 AM

LMAO! What happens in Grays Harbor stays there worse than any story in Vegas! That is horrible and all, but the same thing could happen to me if I walked into China Town at night with a loud mouth - I am smart enough not to.

The reference to Mariners and NASCAR was legitimate.. It is a fan based sport that is opening its doors to diversity. There is always going to be hate crimes, you just do not see them in the sports geared towards spectators I referenced above.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:37 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

ahh Mike -

Tell me about the last time there was a murder in Chinatown.

When was the last time you were there?

Tell me about the last time you were harassed for being white?

And the comparing the Mariners and NASCAR is

One is chock-full of world class athetes. One is not.

Here are a few posts from a NASCAR fan board.

<Posted
Old 08-18-2004, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Aug 18 2004, 08:37 AM
ahh Mike -

Tell me about the last time there was a murder in Chinatown.

And the comparing the Mariners and NASCAR is

One is chock-full of world class athetes. One is not.
haha!! You smart ass!!

I posted something about diversity in motorsports, and you posted a hate crime report that had nothing to do with motorsports!

I have a buddy who is retarded now because a pack of Mexicans beat him on the head with flashlights over nothing, but I do not want to kick their ass when a Mexican driver wins a CART race!??
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Mike - I'm going to quote you here:

"I am hoping my message makes you or at least a few of you stop and think for a minute and quit being stereotypical and borderline racist. "

Have I been borderline racist here? Please show me where.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:08 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by MikeinSeattle,Aug 17 2004, 05:39 AM
Do you guys honestly believe there is not any well-to-do and educated people who may have been following the sport for years, have decent teeth, proper grammar, etc.?
Now that I'm a little bent out of shape I'd like to point out that you are using GWB grammar here...
Old 08-18-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Aug 18 2004, 09:03 AM
Mike - I'm going to quote you here:

"I am hoping my message makes you or at least a few of you stop and think for a minute and quit being stereotypical and borderline racist. "

Have I been borderline racist here? Please show me where.
Shit dude!! You are the one that said you were afraid of being in the stands the day a Toyota wins a Nextel Cup Race!! They are already kicking ass in Craftsman Truck races and the crowd has done nothing but rejoice for the added competition!

I pointed out SEVERAL reasons why racial difference is ridiculous and that motorsports in America has become *happily* culture diverse. I pointed out so much, your quote below is null:

Lig said:
"Imagine this scenario - two years from now Toyota runs a Camry in NASCAR. I'm at Darlington and the Camry wins it's first race.

I'm not sure I'd like to be an Asian guy in that crowd. "
(end quote)

Uh, Toyota is already winning in NASCAR and in the TRUCKS where the seats are cheap and may even bring out the stingiest of poor white trash. They LOVE Toyota (and Darrell Waltrip who is sponsored by Toyota on several levels) AND Bill Lester who is black. AND when I was at Vegas early this year, I am betting at least 15% were Asians which is damn good for the sport, just like baseball... (Again)
Old 08-18-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Aug 18 2004, 09:08 AM
Now that I'm a little bent out of shape I'd like to point out that you are using GWB grammar here...
Don't challenge me to a Spelling Bee

Quick Reply: NASCAR Track