Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

NASCAR Track

Old 08-16-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSRS2K,Aug 16 2004, 01:36 PM
It'll be a sad day when political correctness finally extends to cover the last safe bastion of class-bashing: white male rednecks.
Once that happens, the only people we will be able to publicly bash will be guys who post to a car forum trying to sell half-used bottles of cologne.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:48 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

pigpile!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I agree that by hearing the accent I can tell what's on SpeedTV, but I have to say I was surprised the last time I watched a Winston Cup qualifying on Speed, I was quite impressed with what those good ol' boys had to say about the drivers, cars, and various setups. They were way more articulate and intelligent than I would have ever guessed from their accents.

As far as rednecks being in Snohomish because of NASCAR, do we really need NASCAR for that? None watch baseball or football? Or other 'ball' sports?

If the parking lot is gravel, then that's silly, and if there is no infield roadcourse, then that's even sillier, and if no auto-x area besides the gravel parking lot, then it would be a dumb idea. I'm only for it if it's multiuse and takes into account as much of the area's motorsports enthusiasts as possible.

The above letter was in the PI I believe, the Times was full of gaybashing letters.
--JD
Old 08-16-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lig,Aug 16 2004, 10:29 AM
don't get me started on Jimmy Spencer, Collin!

I was so happy when Toyota won a race!!!

BBYS2K knows what I'm talkin' about...

I personally would like to see a track up here. I'm a big NASCAR fan, it's my favorite form of motorsport second only to the WRC. I know the stereotypical NASCAR fan is some white-trash redneck who lives in a trailer and drives an El Camino but that isn't always the case. I don't fit this profile and I think the vast-majority of NASCAR fans don't either. Hell, I'm half Japanese. It would be cool to have a track up here, the closest is Infenion, followed by Vegas and Fontana and finally Pheonix. None of these tracks are a "day trip" away.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by BBY2KS2K,Aug 16 2004, 04:14 PM
I know the stereotypical NASCAR fan is some white-trash redneck who lives in a trailer and drives an El Camino but that isn't always the case.
Out where I live, the stereotypical NASCAR fan is somebody who knows that Kasey Kane is the greatest driver of all time, and that Tony Stewart is a real bastard who keeps crashing into Kasey. The people who live in the trailers are too busy trying to get rid of their meth lab neighbors to worry about NASCAR.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:39 AM

I was biting my tongue on this one, but to heck with that. What a bunch of flipping pansy ass *BLIND* snobs...

Do you guys honestly believe there is not any well-to-do and educated people who may have been following the sport for years, have decent teeth, proper grammar, etc.? And the sport is only getting better. Mike Garrison would not know as much as he posted if did not follow the sport, I know I am not alone.

I guess some of you are just too cool for school.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MikeinSeattle,Aug 17 2004, 05:39 AM
Mike Garrison would not know as much as he posted if did not follow the sport, I know I am not alone.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I never actually did put down NASCAR or their fans, did I? Except maybe I made fun of the Kasey Kane fans in Enumclaw, but I'd like the local kid to do well too.

However, oval track racing is kind of boring. F1 racing doesn't have any passes. Drag racing is two cars going in a straight line for 1/4 of a mile. And there isn't a motorsports series in the world which isn't dominated by rich white guys (except maybe drag racing?). Sports car racing is probably the best of the bunch, but except for Le Mans the race drivers outnumber the fans.

Let's face it -- racing is just one of those things that is more fun to do than to watch. The only race I watch year after year with real dedication is the Tour de France, and this year it was no contest. (And even the Tour de France is all white guys. Pro bike racing makes NASCAR look egalitarian.)
Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 AM

Back on topic and a little more fuel for the fire.... check out this link in the Racing and Competition forum from a little while back:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry4161096
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinSeattle,Aug 17 2004, 04:39 AM
I was biting my tongue on this one, but to heck with that. What a bunch of flipping pansy ass *BLIND* snobs...
I lived in the Carolinas for 12 years. My family still lives there and is racing/NASCAR fans. I've been to a few NASCAR races. My sister married into the southern, good-ole-boy, NASCAR culture (several times ). I think I've got some insite here.

Yeah, there's alot of stupid rednecks at NASCAR races. But the vast majority are decent careing people. Like anything else, the drunk jackasses get all the attention and give the rest a bad name. I'd feel just as out-of-place and threatened at an Eagles/Cowboys game in Philly as a race in Talledega (sp?).

My problem with NASCAR is that it's becomming less and less an auto race, and more a show, a performance. And oval tracks tend to minimize driver skill and emphasize car setup. Makes great background noise for my Sunday afternoon nap.

- Michael
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike - I changed my sig just for you.

Now that you are out of the NASCAR closet - you should change your username to MikeinKent.

You already know that we Seattle residents are too for NASCAR.

On second thought - there might be a conflict with Mike in Covington.

Never mind.

To my Republican pal Michael :

Imagine this scenario - two years from now Toyota runs a Camry in NASCAR. I'm at Darlington and the Camry wins it's first race.

I'm not sure I'd like to be an Asian guy in that crowd.

Of course the likelihood of me being at a NASCAR race (other than maybe a road course event) is pretty much zip so it doesn't really matter - but I don't imagine that I'd really be all that comfortable in the crowd...

Quick Reply: NASCAR Track