Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

NASCAR Track

Old 08-16-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR Track

I dunno about y'all, but I'm all for a NASCAR track somewhere around here. I'm really hoping they'll do it like California Speedway with a nice infield track/variation as well so I can get some lapping days there in my S. Maybe even auto-x there too, who knows? I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but respect what the drivers do and how gnarly those cars are, and would definitely go there to catch some events as a spectator too. The following letter to the editor propted me to gauge the feelings in here--what do you guys think about a new local (hopefully) multiuse track?

Get this:

Snohomish County proposal is all wrong
Neighbors are understandably upset about the possible arrival of NASCAR racing in Arlington ("Racetrack dispute in the fast lane," Tuesday). There are many issues involved, however, and land-use policy is only one of them.

NASCAR racing is not some value-neutral business endeavor. It has instead become the last bastion of white male privilege, a world where corporate sponsors rule, women are arm candy, blacks are invisible and homophobic taunts are commonplace.

Snohomish County politicians must decide if these are the cultural values they want to endorse with their yes votes.

With the threat from global warming becoming increasingly dire, a sane national energy policy would shut down non-essential fossil fuel consumption, starting with events like NASCAR and Seafair's hydroplane races. Not wasting gasoline seems like a reasonable way to show our respect for the men and women in uniform who fight and die for cheap oil.

Jess Grant
Seattle

--Jonathan
Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

hehe... Jess needs to get laid once in a while.

Personally - I think NASCAR is the automotive equivalent to the WWF or whatever they call "professional wrestling" these days - but I'm all for a track if we can get a big parking lot for autocrossing or even better - a road course in the infield.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Aug 16 2004, 08:44 AM
hehe... Jess needs to get laid once in a while.

Personally - I think NASCAR is the automotive equivalent to the WWF or whatever they call "professional wrestling" these days - but I'm all for a track if we can get a big parking lot for autocrossing or even better - a road course in the infield.
Yep, exactly what I think too--I never go to baseball or football games, so a sporting venue I could actually get some use out of sounds good to me!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As nice as it would be to have a track for autox and a road course (cause I track my car so much), I've gotta say that I don't want nascar's hoopla coming anywhere near where I live. And file nascar values under "sad but true". If you want proof, track down drivers reactions to toyota entering a truck in the truck series. For kicks, if you watch the speed channel, pay attention to the accents of whatever show is on...you can tell it's some kind of nascar stuff without even seeing what's on. My $.02
Old 08-16-2004, 10:29 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

don't get me started on Jimmy Spencer, Collin!

I was so happy when Toyota won a race!!!

BBYS2K knows what I'm talkin' about...
Old 08-16-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NASCAR has had one or two black drivers in their top series (eg. Willy T. Ribbs) and a few black folks who have tried to own a race team. They have had a few more women drivers in their top series. None have been very successful. Heck, it's hard to get into those series even if you are the "right sort of person" just because you come from somewhere other than the south.

But then again, NASCAR is far from being alone in that regard. All of professional racing is about who you know and what sponsorship money you bring to the table, perhaps even more so than it is about how well you drive.

I would like to see the new track built, for just one reason -- because if it has a infield road course it would give us another option for local lapping days.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:03 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

A couple of us from this board have gone to the jimmyspencer.net board for the fun of it.

While there are some reasonable people over there - there are a huge number of straight-up racist rednecks over there - many of them who have gone far beyond my image of ignorant trailer trash.

It's frightening.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 AM

I say build the track, but only allow pink hybird cars to race there.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

It'll be a sad day when political correctness finally extends to cover the last safe bastion of class-bashing: white male rednecks. But untill then, party on!

As for this Jess guy, ... where to begin? How bout his "sane" national energy policy. Lets ban all forms of fosil fuel powered racing! That'll help with this "dire" global warming threat. But then, the fuel consumed *at* one of these events is trivial compared to the fuel consumed by spectators *getting to* one of these events. Aw, crap, now we gotta ban driving to these events too. And that would mean banning driving to football games, concerts, and any other "non-essential" gathering. (Ralph Nader fan club meetings excluded of coarse).

I'm guessing this drivel appeared in the Seattle Times. What do I win?

- Michael
Old 08-16-2004, 12:42 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Many of those rednecks on Jimmy's site post as women.

There is speculation that the parking lots may not be paved - just gravel.

If that were the case - unless they build a road course - I wouldn't be all that enthused about a NASCAR track.

Michael -

Remember who the Times endorsed for President 4 years ago?

(for the record - I have no idea where Jess got published )

Your Libertarian buddy...

liggy

Quick Reply: NASCAR Track