Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Low RPM stutter while in gear

Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,May 4 2005, 12:26 PM
What about the Vodka... do I have to quit the Vokda?
It's OK to balance depressants with stimulants, right? "Waiter, another Irish Coffee, please."
Old 05-04-2005, 11:38 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hand Crafted baby
Old 05-04-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmy,May 3 2005, 05:47 PM
Hi! So yeah I have an intermittent stutter at low RPM while I'm in gear.
My car does this too. Has for over a year, but didn't when I got it. It's been the subject of some pretty contentious debates on S2ki. The same suspects are always mentioned: the map sensor, the unsteady foot, the heat-soak problem, and the "hey, it's just the way the car works".

The map sensor seems the most likely culprit, but if that were the fix I'm sure it would be a known dead issue by now. I'm familiar with the unsteady foot and can say with %100 confidence, that ain't it. Although before my car started doing it I assumed that was everyone elses problem. It's been alleged that it's heat-soak and if you just remove your air box cover the problem goes away. Tried it, no. And my car went from not doing it to doing it, so it's not "just the way the car works".

I'd take it in to be fixed, but there is no way I can reliably repro it for the mechanic. So it'd be a waste of time. Besides, I don't want some over-eager mechanic randomly replacing parts trying to fix it. So I do what everyone else does, live with it.

- Michael
Old 05-04-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSRS2K,May 4 2005, 12:48 PM
My car does this too. Has for over a year, but didn't when I got it. It's been the subject of some pretty contentious debates on S2ki. The same suspects are always mentioned: the map sensor, the unsteady foot, the heat-soak problem, and the "hey, it's just the way the car works".
Fuel injector problem? Fuel pump problem? Fuel filter problem? ECU glitch?

I'm not sure if I really understand the symptoms you are describing, but it seems like it has either got to be an air, fuel, or spark issue.

But you say that when you take the loading off the engine it goes away?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are we still trying to diagnose an issue without a complete problem description? Just checking.

Somebody needs to drive the car and experience a reproduction of behavior before Jim starts hitting his map sensor with a sledgehammer and driving with the airbox lid off.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,May 4 2005, 11:26 AM
What about the Vodka... do I have to quit the Vokda?
As long as it's Grey Goose and above. Is Level any good? Any others that are really smooth and renowned in the tight knit vodka snob circles?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 PM

It's not an issue (edit: for me) because it doesn't happen predictably nor often. But if someone said they'd give me $5K to reproduce it.. i'd give it a whirl by driving in traffic in the summer at speeds no faster than 10mph... just relaly like application on the throttle.. stop and go... it will happen.

it's happened with my old map sensor and my new one with that fancy plastic zip tie thing that honda made up

it's just how the car is and really is a non-issue because the remedy is so damn simple and it doesn't occur all that often... not predictably... but can persuade your car to do isn't a fun use of time
Old 05-04-2005, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=WRS2K,May 4 2005, 01:09 PM] As long as it's Grey Goose and above.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:41 PM

I used to drink a lot of Grey Goose tonics with muddled lime when out and about, but there's absolutely zero consistency between bars/bartenders so i gave up that idea. usually, the more uppity the place, the more generous/skilled they are, but not always true.

so i said screw that. i'm just gonna get vodka in its purest form. straight out the bottle.

so ever since maybe two years ago i started drinking grey goose chilled. the hick bars usually have no clue what the hell i'm requesting. the swankier places do it up just right with the little thin glaciers of ice up top. nice.

i like grey goose because it is very neutral as well. utterly smooth. i'm not a fan of kettle one straight because like u said i taste the same thing. it's got some flavor me no likey. crater i'll have to heck out chilled. i will take up your advice on ordering my mixed drinks with kettle.

i don't like vodka warm period, but will take into consideration your recommendation and give it a boy scout's try again.

How about Belvedere straight? i haven't ever done that.

i'm too scared to go into your house let alone your basement.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:12 PM

So my primary heresy is that a mixed drink doesn't need premium spirits. Once the orange juice is in the glass a $9 call -> almost <- always tastes like a $3 well. Naturally the pour makes a large contribution to the results but often times the mixer will have the greatest effect on the end result. Ordering fruit juices from a bar is akin to Russian roulette unless they are serving out of cans. Even a vodka-soda call will vary based upon the water source. Ice-cubes are the single most overlooked culprit in a bad or inconsistent drink. Use your imagination and pay attention to where the ice is chilling at the bar. <shudder> Bartenders tend to be consistent with their pour. The ingredients are what I usually question once you know the bartender's count.

Long story short, I sympathize with why you have switched to straight vodka. Not many bars use chillers for their vodkas, though. I've acquired a taste for Vodka on the rocks but dammit if ice has not turned into frustration as a result.

Its been a while since I've had Belvedere, read into that what you will. I don't think it was bad, but I do find it incredibly poor buy.

Grey Goose is just common, which is part of its allure. It is simply good Vodka so I understand its attactration for most. On the other hand there are some really unique offerings which are not gimmicks. Try something off the beaten path and order it just with shaved ice: Ciroc. It has a very heavy body and a white grape (not sweet though) aftertaste. Tastes like a mild martini when you order it on the rocks. Pretty unique.

The Kettle has body but no flavor. It just tastes like thick water to me. We are probably saying the same thing. All the same, I'm very keen on its attributes.

Quick Reply: Low RPM stutter while in gear