Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Looking at relocating

Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at relocating

Sooo, I was reading another post and I read that some of you have lived over on the east coast, specifically Virginia. I was thinking of relocating there. I have lived in Washington all my life and I am sick of how many rainy/cloudy days we have. That and the cost of living would be my main reasons for packing it up and moving. There also isn't really crap to do here in this state IMO. I dunno, maybe I have been here to long and done just about everything there is to do. So, I was also thinking about moving to Richmond Virginia, or North Carolina. I am a machinist so it would be nice to move to an area with a lot of manufacturing. Any input from any of you would be very informative.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad idea. if you are wanting to live in anything nice in the richmond area you will be paying to close to what you do around seattle. There are some decent places outside of richmond if your willing to travel. Yes WA is cloudy and rainy all the time but you will be exchanging it for extreme weathers in each season here in VA. Winter gets really cold and snows decent amount each year. spring isnt to bad just lots of rain, Summer I hate summer and fall here expect high 80 to low 90s all summer/fall long. Its so humind here soon as you walk outside you will start to sweat.

alot of the jobs here are lower end peon jobs and you will get paid lower than WA on average. A lot of people I know either has two jobs just to support themself here or lives with a few roommates. VA will rape you in taxes as it is a commonwealth state. close to a 1/3 each of my paycheck goes to taxes. also be prepared for alot low income people in the richmond area. Crime is pretty bad as well as richmond being one of the top homicides cities each year in the country. For the job you do I would say live in the sova area. hampton/norfolk/VA beach area. IF you can get clearance you can work on the subs and stuff around the area. which I think is cool.

The Sova s2k group are very friendly and you will notice there are alot of s2000s in the area. One thing VA does have for them are the people here. People here are great for the most part very friendly. VA also has alot of history to it. there are many things to do here from water parks, amusement parks, beaches, clubs, Washington DC only a few hours away depending on where you live. and many other things. but in time you will do everything like you have in WA and will get bored.

I moved to VA 4 years ago and Im moving back to Washington where I belong. I hope this helps a little.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM

The only thing I liked about VA were the beaches. Living in Newport News, nobody tampered with my S. Even when it was parked in the ghetto areas overnight. When I moved back to WA, a couple months roll and my top get's cut. Also when I moved back to Wa, VA tried to say I didn't file my taxes lol. I just looked at the mail they sent me and laughed (no way I'm paying for it). I filed my taxes.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Boeing's expansion in NC will be huge and job opportunities for you will exist. COL there is less than Seattle.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by CR Matey!
Boeing's expansion in NC will be huge and job opportunities for you will exist. COL there is less than Seattle.
No kiddin? Boeing is opening a plant there huh? Yeah North Carolina was another one I was looking at because I did research that there are some manufacturing jobs there. I think I have simply been in this state too long and I need a change. I hate to think I have "grass is greener" complex but I am ex-navy and I have seen some of those greener pastures.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 AM

Apply for work and see what happens..
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM

Sounds like a fun adventure and you can always move back. You only live once and life is too short
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Sounds like a fun adventure and you can always move back. You only live once and life is too short
My philosophy exactly!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:09 PM

rotary tuner, you don't want to live on the East coast, trust me. Visit here during the Summer when its hot and humid and you'll change you're mind. You just need to move East of the cascades to get away from all the rain. I used to stay with my Grandparents every Summer when I was a kid in North Idaho and the weather is nothing like the Seattle.

I live in the suburbs of Raleigh, North Carolina and I like everything but the heat and humidty. Taxes are low and housing is affordable. Also, plenty of good size lakes for boating and recreation if you're into that.

I moved here from New Jersey 5 years ago. Construction was booming in 2006 and the economy was good. I had a job within a week with plenty of overtime. I drive a concrete mixer.

I'm thinking about moving to the Northwest, North Idaho to be exact. My Father and Grandmother live in Spokane. Post Falls Idaho area seems like a decent area thats close to Spokane for work.

Thinking about putting my house up for sale in the Spring. Sell my boat and the S so I don't have so much to take cross country. I'll do pretty good with my house as I bought at a good time and have vastly improved.

Anybody live in the North Idaho, Esatern Washington area? Any construction going on?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

The "new" Boeing facility is in South Carolina, near Charlestown. Similar to living in Olympia but with massive humidity and no big city an hour away.

As far as moving, go visit the place a few times (in different seasons). I moved here (from the midwest) because I didn't like the oppressive cold winters and oppressive humid summers. It's a tradeoff. There's no perfect place.

Quick Reply: Looking at relocating