Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Light metallic clanking noise, ~3-7 mph, maybe from the front, what is it?

Old 06-29-2003, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light metallic clanking noise, ~3-7 mph, maybe from the front, what is it?

Getting this light metallic clanking noise (like sheetmetal being tapped), right around 5 mph, I 'think' it's coming from the front. It sort of sounds rhythmic but it's not like a consistent clank every wheel revolution.

Since I got new tires, I thought maybe a wheel weight was loose, I checked and they all look secure. No rocks or any other kind of crap stuck between the tire treads. I get this sound going forward, going backwards, going straight, steering hard right and hard left, in gear or coasting in neutral down to about 5 mph.

What is it? If this problem has been discussed in a previous thread can you link me to it? Thanks.

(Young....you broke my car. just kidding )
Old 06-29-2003, 03:33 PM

brakes? maybe you need to flush-bleed the brakes? perhaps they're not releasing fully? wild guess... cuz i get that in the rear now since i forgot to fully disengage the e-brake once to drop the top, then drove from UW to downtown bellevue with the e-brake up 2 clicks... now i get a clank noise from the rear. i need to get that checked.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:13 PM

Is it coming from right/left/middle?
Jack er up and spin the front tires.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by scooby2

(Young....you broke my car. just kidding )
Not again... Sorry Andrew, my bad luck strikes again...
Thanks for let me drive your car. I can't believe how smooth your car was, it drifted on four wheels like no other vehicle I ever driven.

Regards to the noise, have you taken the wheels off to see if anything was rubbing against it?

Hope it's nothing serious.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by PWRMKR
Is it coming from right/left/middle?
Jack er up and spin the front tires.
I noticed a single score mark on the passenger side of the front rotor. When I'm spinning the wheel, it intermittently grabs and makes a noise which really doesn't sound like the metallic tapping noise that I hear but maybe that's the noise. I'm guessing the rotor is slightly warped and something is stuck in the brake pads? Is this a job for the dealer and under warranty or an easy in the driveway fix?

Edit:
Well I decided to jack up the other side anyway and see what the resistance felt like compared to the passenger side. It feels maybe just a tad smoother but now I don't think the rotor is warped on the passenger side. The tapping noise doesn't sound like the scraping noise from the pads. Hmmm....maybe time for the dealer lookie or Taco Tuesday diagnosis???
Old 07-02-2003, 09:17 AM

Problem solved, I think. The dealer says there's something loose inside one of my front wheels. Maybe one of the nuts from the valve stem backed out and is rattling around? Anyway Discount Tires did the tire mounting, isn't that the place where if I'm unhappy with their service, I can chuck my wheel thru their plate glass window? On second thought, I don't want to scratch my wheels...
Old 07-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll bring the video camera so they can have footage for a new commercial
Old 07-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Totem Lake Discount Tires put my rears together from a Tire Rack drop shipment. Now I have some deep grab marks on the inside of the rim.

...I should have gotten that vid cam earlier.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by PWRMKR
Totem Lake Discount Tires put my rears together from a Tire Rack drop shipment. Now I have some deep grab marks on the inside of the rim.
Funny, that's exactly where I had my tires mounted. I think a new plate glass window is in order for these folks.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:43 PM

I am having the same exact problem. I took it to the place that put on my tires and they did not find anything. The car is going to Honda next week.

Anyone want to take a guess what they'll say...

Quick Reply: Light metallic clanking noise, ~3-7 mph, maybe from the front, what is it?