Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

interesting weekend at the races

Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default interesting weekend at the races

I spent the weekend working at the Conference races at PR. If you've ever wanted to really see what sports car racing is all about (without dropping $20-100K), this is a good way to do it. They always need more workers.

I've worked flag stations a few times, and that's one of the best ways to get involved and see the racing. However, since I've done that before, this time I wanted to work the grid. The upside was that it was interesting work, more varied than flagging. The downside was that you don't see any of the racing, because while one race is going on you are busy getting the cars staged for the next one. You do, however, get to see all the cars and drivers a lot more up close and personal.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, thanks so much for helping out. New workers are desperately needed. Pre-grid is tough, cuz you can't really watch the races, but it's cool in that you see every start.

This was a cursed weekend. I was sitting in pre-grid for the very first practice session on Saturday morning, where we waited for more than an hour because the track had neglected to order an ambulance (although Conference had told the track to do so). So, we waited and waited. Heck, we said, we'll be good; we don't need an ambulance; just let us go out; this is just a practice session. Finally, an ambulance arrived, and out we went. On the very first lap, a guy two cars in front of me loses control (this is an out lap on a ten minute practice session, remember) loses control going into 5a, seems to hit the steep curbing with his left front tire, and starts a corkscrew up into the air. That'll get your attention when your 30 feet behind him! He bounced around a bit, before ending up to track left, right side up (more or less--up on the hill). Apparently he's ok, with a stiff back and a broken tooth--this safety equipment is amazing (apparently, we did need an ambulance!).

While sitting in the hot pits waiting for them to haul his car out of the weeds, I'm thinking that maybe this is just a cursed weekend, and maybe I should just go home. Then, in my first qualifying session after lunch, my engine gives out (looks like a bent valve; hopefully nothing worse), and I limp into the paddock. Another racer has a spare engine at his home, only 15 minutes away, and we decide that we're going to swap engines, and I'll be out for morning qualifying. We tried, but the damn thing wouldn't fire (turns out the guy who constructed the engine had put one of the timing belt pulleys on wrong); it was 5am, and we didn't have the energy to do any more trouble shooting, so we retired. Went back at it Sunday afternoon with a real expert, who immediately diagnosed and repaired. I'm back in business, but not in time for yesterday's races (judging for the stories of carnage, I'm perhaps lucky to have avoided them).
Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

well, i let my irdc/icscc and scca licenses expire a few years ago, but i still have really good memories. part of getting the conference license was working pre grid and even flags at turns. that was indeed actually pretty fun.

my not fun time (that sounds similar to your weekend) was when some dude in a mini grand was held back a full lap from start because of some obnoxious behavior earlier. so everyone is just getting around their first lap when he is let on. sure enough, he's thinking 'i need to catch up!' so he is going way way too fast coming out of the chicane on the back end (6-7) and spins out of control flipping over probably going like 90 mph. i was lucky enough to let him by and catch it all on my in-car-camera (it didnt turn out great but was weird). anyway, the race steward pulled everyone off the track and chewed us out for like 15 minutes and basically sent us home. it was pretty not cool.

however, i still think you can get a decent driving experience simply runnign track time. i think speedware has a day coming up here pretty soon.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Aug 5 2007, 09:15 PM
I spent the weekend working at the Conference races at PR. If you've ever wanted to really see what sports car racing is all about (without dropping $20-100K), this is a good way to do it. They always need more workers.

I've worked flag stations a few times, and that's one of the best ways to get involved and see the racing. However, since I've done that before, this time I wanted to work the grid. The upside was that it was interesting work, more varied than flagging. The downside was that you don't see any of the racing, because while one race is going on you are busy getting the cars staged for the next one. You do, however, get to see all the cars and drivers a lot more up close and personal.
Mike, we are glad to have you and others like you out there supporting us. I was racing in the Novice Closed Wheel group 7 on Saturday. I was in the Red CRX and my Neighbor was in the White Civic Hatch. Him and I had a really good race going on and were side by side through several turns but I just couldn't pass him. I hope we were able to put on a good show for you.

It was nothing compared to Sunday from what I hear though. Sounds like a car went 15 feet in to the air, end over end, landed by the corner station and burst into flames. Then while that was finishing being dealt with the starter had a heart attack.

I can only hope that the next race isn't as "eventful".

What corner where you at mike?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rice_classic,Aug 8 2007, 08:16 PM
I was racing in the Novice Closed Wheel group 7 on Saturday.

Sounds like a car went 15 feet in to the air, end over end, landed by the corner station and burst into flames. Then while that was finishing being dealt with the starter had a heart attack.
I was the guy in the funky hat who was lining people up in pre-grid.

Yes, well I didn't see the big crash. I was pretty close to the heart attack but didn't hear what was happening until later.