Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

I Registered My Car in WA Today...

Old 02-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Registered My Car in WA Today...

So today I finally got to register the S I bought in Vegas a couple of weeks ago and the clerk asked me, "So did you pay taxes on the car yet?" And I said, "Uh... no."

Could I have said yes!? I should have asked about this earlier. I'm too honest though and they'd find out anyway I'm sure.

And when I was putting the car cover on the car I noticed a faint crescent shaped crease on the right front fender about 5 - 6" long. Who's a good dent person/shop to go to?

Thanks, Joe
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to prove either that you have owned the car for some period of time (90 days, six months, something like that -- you can look it up) or that you paid sales taxes in another state. And even if you did pay sales taxes in another state, you would owe any extra amount that WA charges over the amount the other state charges.

Technically this is true of any out-of-state purchase, not just cars. But the state doesn't really have a mechanism for tracking things like buying a TV in Portland and bringing back home to Vancouver. With cars they have a way to check.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks Mike, I would never claim to have paid taxes on the car. I'm just surprised I was asked if I had. And someone mentioned to me about having to pay more tax even if I had done so in another state. Bastards!

You still work for Boeing?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IwantanS,Feb 12 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Mike, I would never claim to have paid taxes on the car. I'm just surprised I was asked if I had. And someone mentioned to me about having to pay more tax even if I had done so in another state. Bastards!

You still work for Boeing?
Yeah, I do. (For now, I guess.)

You owe a certain amount of "use tax" on the car when you bring it in to the state. You can get credit for sales tax you paid elsewhere (if you can prove you paid it). So it doesn't really matter if you paid sales tax elsewhere or not -- WA credits you for what you already paid and you end up paying the same amount anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 12 2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I do. (For now, I guess.)

You owe a certain amount of "use tax" on the car when you bring it in to the state. You can get credit for sales tax you paid elsewhere (if you can prove you paid it). So it doesn't really matter if you paid sales tax elsewhere or not -- WA credits you for what you already paid and you end up paying the same amount anyway.
Same thing happened when I bought my Evo from California.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
bcs

When I bought my Scion down in California, i payed tax down there. When I registered it up here, they tried to charge me full tax. It was a battle, but I finally got them to let me just pay the difference. That was just the beginning of the problems. Since the car was only sold in Cali at the time, they had no idea how to put it in the system. At first, they thought I had just imported some car and was trying to legalize it.

I also got threatening letters from the state of California stating that my registration had expired and they were going to impound my car if it was ever seen in public. haha. I still have my California plates that they sent me.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Dent repair recommendations? I've done a search and a place called Mirrorworks was highly talked about but they shut down a while back but the former owners recommend Northwest Auto Salon.

http://www.mirrorworksdetail.com/
Old 02-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Good thing I read this, probably going to have to get WA plates soon which is unfortunate. MI doesn't require a front plate.