Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

How to keep white wheels clean >:(

Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep white wheels clean >:(

Ive searched everywhere and tried just about everythign there is out there. im not worried about keeping them clean all the time because that is impossible... but everytime time i clean them when im going to a meet or a cruise or anything they are dirty within 10 miles... I had this crazy idea i was thinking of the other day since i see alot of people doing it when they go on cruises. they mask off all kinds of body panels with blue masking type so no rocks chip their paint. Has anyone tried this on their wheels? would the tape come of on the freeway? any imput would be great! it would be nice to no before i spent a bunch of money on masking tape. its not exackly the cheapest thing in the world..
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a better idea. go buy some Armorall Wheel Protectant. That stuff works wonders. I use it all the time to keep brake dust off my wheels.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM

Wouldnt the brake dust just stick to the tape ?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM

I sympathize, I've got white wheels too! I did a couple things to keep them looking clean: I got brake pads that produce minimal dust (much less than AP2 pads) and I occasionally apply a few layers of Blackfire Metal Sealant. It's safe on clear-coated rims. Less brake dust seems to adhere and the stuff that does washes off much easier.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM

i hear waxing them helps with a clearcoated wheel but i cant imagine how much time and effort that must take given the multi spoke design of the ap2 V1 & V2 designs. Ap1 & ap2V3 might not be bad though. lots of flat faces
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM

The better it looks the dirtier it seems to get
Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get the wheel protectant spray. I've been on track days where the spots that I missed with the spray are black while the rest of the wheel is only a slight shade darker.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

So wait, what is the masking tape doing? If you spend hours taping your wheels, you still don't see clean white wheels, just wheels that are dirty and masking tape colored ...... what am I missing

Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

But the wheels will be clean under the tape Ray

I'd get the blue painters tape, that way you can have blue wheels that are covered in brake dust

This thread made me laugh, thanks OP

But seriously, ceramic brake pads make the least amount of mess, they also provide the least amount of stopping force. If you don’t track, this is probably your best bet. I'll be removing mine if you want to try them out. They still have some meat left on them.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
But the wheels will be clean under the tape Ray

I'd get the blue painters tape, that way you can have blue wheels that are covered in brake dust

This thread made me laugh, thanks OP

But seriously, ceramic brake pads make the least amount of mess, they also provide the least amount of stopping force. If you don’t track, this is probably your best bet. I'll be removing mine if you want to try them out. They still have some meat left on them.
I was thinking camo duct tape, Chris

Quick Reply: How to keep white wheels clean >:(