Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Got a front plate ticket today

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Batbite,May 17 2009, 06:04 PM
Why do you always have to be such a B_oner.....you're perfect right?

A forum is a forum......which includes a place for people to vent. If you don't agree with the topic.........then you should reserve the right to shut the f....ck up. Jeeez.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Thats too bad it is a ridiculous law. I dont even think most stated require the front plate anymore, but they still crackdown on it in the NW. Its even stupider in Oregon since we are required to have a front plate but it doesnt need tags on the front just the rear ...

Ive been rolling with the front plate on the dash/against the windshield for about a year and a half now without issue, I consider it my happy medium. It keeps the plate visible from the front of the car (which is all that is required by oregon law) and I dont have it messing up the beautiful stock s2k front bumper
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA,May 18 2009, 10:21 AM
Ive been rolling with the front plate on the dash/against the windshield for about a year and a half now without issue, I consider it my happy medium. It keeps the plate visible from the front of the car (which is all that is required by oregon law) and I dont have it messing up the beautiful stock s2k front bumper
And as a special bonus, in a crash it might come loose and decapitate you, preventing you from having to suffer looking at your smashed up car.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,May 12 2009, 10:43 AM
It would be a fair assumption that any violation that occurs while the car is moving, even if not safety- or speed-related, may be treated as a moving violation.

By "fair assumption," I mean that it would be your best working assumption, not that I think it's reasonable.
That
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=s2000Junky,May 20 2009, 01:25 PM] That
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of whether it's "actuarially sound" or not (like we need more ways for the pencil pushers to pigeon hole drivers and gouge people that fit these "models"), it is not the state's job to write out tickets in such a way to make the actuaries happy. It should be only a matter of safety, and clearly here it isn't.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by urBan_dK,May 20 2009, 01:48 PM
Regardless of whether it's "actuarially sound" or not (like we need more ways for the pencil pushers to pigeon hole drivers and gouge people that fit these "models"), it is not the state's job to write out tickets in such a way to make the actuaries happy. It should be only a matter of safety, and clearly here it isn't.
I agree. The role between the state and the role of the insurance "company" is a problem the way I see it. Anytime you have an agency that is mandated but yet its primary function is to make a profit then we have a conflict of interest. It works great for the insurance company because they get the backing from the state and they get to set their own bar for profit. This front plate law and the role of the insurance we are discussing here is a good example of a system failure if indeed it is a moving violation and our insurance goes up for the infraction.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by 124Spider,May 20 2009, 01:12 PM
I understand your point, but it probably is not actuarially sound.

I would be willing to bet that the insurance companies can show statistics that substantially prove that those who ignore various motor vehicle laws (whether or not clearly safety-related) are a higher risk. In particular, I suspect that that would be pretty easy to show with respect to those who don't wear a front plate, who disproportionally are young, male, driving performance cars.
I agree they probably could find a way to make it a safety issue, through profiling or what ever. Like most companies designed to make a profit, they have their ways to justify their price hikes. But again, I think you know as well as I that this is not reasonable, nor should our state operate in a way that creates more unjust opportunity
Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM

You two are just determined to somehow find ways to bitch about the consequences, all entirely predictable, of refusing to obey a clearly-written law.

No, it is not "the state's job to write out tickets in such a way to make the actuaries happy." And that's not what they're doing. The state has a law in place, and the police are enforcing it.

Actuaries don't give a damn one way or the other; they only correlate statistics to claims. When there's a good correlation, they note it, and the insurance company likely will try to charge for it.

In this case, there almost certainly is a statistically sound correlation between those who flaunt this law and those who have a higher claims record. So it's entirely sound--mathematically and socially--that they should charge for it.

If you don't like it, a more grown-up response would be to put the damned front plate back on, or stop this childish whining.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or work to change the law.

Quick Reply: Got a front plate ticket today