Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Good local place to purchase helmet and gloves

Old 10-20-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good local place to purchase helmet and gloves

Hey guys/gals...

are there any decent local shops to purchase helment and gloves for track driving?

I know about Speedware in Redmond...but I'd like to see if there are any others.

Also, anybody recommended a good helmet? I'm leaning towards a full face one just because I may purchase a motorcycle next year (BIG MAYBE).

If there aren't any good local shops...any online shops that you've had good experiences w/?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bell makes pretty decent helmets, and Arai makes some seriously kick ass ones. You will spend almost double for the Arai tough. It all depends on how much you value your noodle.

I don't know about good MC helmets though, and if you want to do just occasional track days and ride a bike, get a good bike helmet with at least a M2000 rating, or wait a couple months for some of the 2005 rated helmets, it will buy you 5 more years of track use, at events which allow MC helmets.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:52 PM

If you're looking for a dual-use motorcycle / track helmet, and won't be doing wheel-to-wheel racing, go to any motorcycle shop and buy one of their M-rated helmets.

Not sure about gloves; I think Fordahl Motorsports in Bellevue might have a small selection.

Steve
Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the Armadillo Racing folks will be at the IRDC day at Bremerton.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:21 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had good experiences @ Seattle Cycle Center on Aurora (near Oak Tree)
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 PM

I can't help ya on the local thing.

I just order a G-FORCE Racing Gear Pro Force Hybrid SA2000 rated helmet from saferacer.com for $199.99 no tax and free shipping.

That is the least expensive SA rated helmet I could find.

Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets (from Snell website):
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

Old 10-21-2004, 06:09 PM

Don't Order a helmet on-line...........Every helmet / style / brand fits differently. Before you spend a lot of $$$ go to a shop that has a lot of styles / brands and have them help you with the correct fitment.

Remember if you are going to wearing the helmet for a prolonged time if it's not comfortable......it's gonna give you a headache.

The "Cycle Barn" in Lynnwood is great........not only do they wheel & deal on the sticker prices....but they have a huge selection...and very are helpful getting the right helmet that fits both the budget & your head.

Try it out...........gals that work there aren't bad to look at either.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:15 PM

For gloves they have some decent ones at Racer Wholesale:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant2/me...e=Racing+Gloves

I use them for AX and they work pretty well. Not sure what the $100-200 Sparco's gloves buy you, since the G-Force has flame resistant material in it anyway.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by PWRMKR,Oct 21 2004, 12:45 AM

That is the least expensive SA rated helmet I could find.

Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets (from Snell website):
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

awesome info guys..

quick question about the ratings below. Are these all accepted for track days?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:34 AM

The M2000 rating will get you into a lot of track days, it depends on what club is putting it on. The SA2000 rating will be good for all track days. The new 2005 rating comes out shortly and supercedes the 2000 rating. This in effect will make the 2000 rating the minimum for another 5 years, until the 2010 rating comes out. The 95 rating will not be allowed at many events after this year.

So, if you get a 2005 helmet now, the rating should outlive the useable life of the helmet, if that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: Good local place to purchase helmet and gloves