Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Garage Floor Solutions

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage Floor Solutions

Gonna be moving into a new house in a couple weeks. I'd like to get the garage floor prepped before everything gets moved in.

Does anybody have recommendations on sealing the floor? I am trying to avoid the epoxy-in-a-box that HD/Lowes sells, instead going for a professional install with high color chip density and top coat. Apart from the epoxy solutions, I'm also considering something like Racedeck or similar, the modular tiles.

Any help, recommendations appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So not that this is going to help much, but i actually did the expoyshield from Rustoleum and im VERY happy with it. for reference i did that light blue-ish color with no chips. didnt like the look. and most people that come by and see it prefer the no-chip look.

I have a 3 car garage with a "bump out" and its a tad under 800sqft. if you decide to bend and do the expoy based method ill say this. its all in the prep. scrubbing with a deck scrubber and degreaser is hard. the acid wash is mildly terrifying and you WILL have lap marks but if you are smart you wont have color differences between the cans. I mixed all three cans of color together to get a uniform color so there would be no "batch issues" that some people complained about. i then redistributed color between the cans evenly and only added hardener to what i needed at the time. Prep work took me 3-4 days of labor not including dry time. I should say that i also filled in a bunch of cracks in the concrete and that took some time. Paint work took me one full day on a weekend between cutting, painting the odd parts and rolling it out.

I let the floor cure for about a week before parking hot tires on it however, when i first grabbed a jack to to some work i managed to scratch the floor. They say 7 days to full cure but thats not even close to true. it was more like a month till it was impact, scratch and oil resistant.

if you are ever in the south end and want to see it, PM me and id be more than happy to give a tour. I also have 2 bags of leftover acid wash and 4-5 bags of extra color chips that anyone is welcome to.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Also forgot to say, theres a company called TNEMEC (its cement spelled backwards) and its in algona/auburn that specializes in "coatings" a friend of a friend works there and they supposedly make good stuff. might be worth a website browse
Old 09-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

You can also look at having it etched and clear coated. The etched or raw concrete can look pretty cool and be pretty durable. Not sure of companies but shop around for quotes and if you find a good one let me know as this is a must when we buy a house soon.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Or just do this.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I wish!

I didn't think of doing the etching/sealing, but that could be an alternative. Normally I DIY the crap out of everything, but for something like this and our moving timelines, I have to source it out. street_ruler, thx for the offer, might be able to head out this weekend.

So the search for companies to do it continues, If I do find someone I'll share w the group.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM

a friend of mine that convinced me to do it, used a handyman but he is in everett. frankly anyone with some painting experience can do this. its no different. i used to paint for a living and thats all it is. aside from the back breaking labor of cleaning the bare concrete floor.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Asm wood floor ftw.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 PM

I knew that looked familiar..... I thought that was the asm shop. There shop is soooo cleannnn.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Or just do this.

Each one of those boards comes with a custom etched ASM logo underneath and goes for $550 each! And only an ASM certified technician can install the proprietary lift into that floor, and his hourly cost is also $550.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Solutions