Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Front License Plate

Old 08-11-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

Not having a good day today, so I was driving to work this morning, got pullover, he claim I was speeding. Anyway, the cop gave me a ticket for not having a front license plate, and the cop has to call backup and try to inspect my vehicle . Having work in a law office, I learn how to use my rights and protect myself. They ended up not searching my car, then I told them when I first got my car, it doesn't have a front plate, so I can't really put one on, but they ticketed me anyway.

So I went back to work, did some research and find this.

RCW 46.16.240, which stated that If only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle.

SMC 11.22.080, which also stated that .....provided, that if only one (1) license plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attched to the rear of such vehicle.

Anyone have any thought on this issue??
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM

yes it is required

/thread
Old 08-11-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by kelvin96gsr,Aug 11 2006, 10:37 AM
yes it is required

/thread
What if it doesn't have one when I first got the car???
Old 08-11-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle S2K,Aug 11 2006, 11:38 AM
What if it doesn't have one when I first got the car???
I'm going to assume that the courts will say it's your responsibility to procure them.

For example if your car's brake lights weren't working when you bought it, then you don't drive the car till you get them fixed.

you could have a case if you JUST bought the car and already have new plates on order

learn your lesson and move on
Old 08-11-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by kelvin96gsr,Aug 11 2006, 10:43 AM
I'm going to assume that the courts will say it's your responsibility to procure them.

For example if your car's brake lights weren't working when you bought it, then you don't drive the car till you get them fixed.

you could have a case if you JUST bought the car and already have new plates on order

learn your lesson and move on
Kelvin, thanks for your input.

If you have read the SMC or the RCW carefully, prehaps you will understand. There is only one license plate "legally" issue for my vehicle, in that case, I am only require to display one at the back of my vehicle. State Law or Local Law did not state that "All" vehicle must obtain two license plate, one for the front and one for the back. If I do have another plate sitting around in my house, I would most definately have it mounted to my front bumper, but I don't.

Futhermore, State Law or Local Law also did not state that "If any vehicle were only issued one (1) license plate, it is the vehicle owner's duty to obtain the second license plate in order to travel on public road". If you can find a law that state the same, I'll be more than happy to look into it.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 10:56 AM

The law says IF YOU ARE ISSUED ONE PLATE.

That is, if the DMV issues you one plate then you use one plate.

It is for special circumstances.

In this case, the S2000 will never receive one plate from the DMV, but rather two. That means you have to have two plates.

I don't run front plates on my car and I've been fine. Just a bunch of warnings but no tickets yet. Usually cops give these front plate tickets for other reasons, such as finding radars, tinted license plate shields, heavily modified, loud exhaust, or just whatever.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Vant has put it best.

The DMV never issues S2000's with only one plate. Therefore it's your responsibility to have both that were originally issued to the car.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:01 AM

I guess the cop woke up at the wrong side of his bed, my car is totally stock, not a single modification, there is no reason form him to be this harsh on me, and there is absolutely no reason to call backup and ask to inspect my vehicle . I don't believe I look like a bad guy, I mean, I have my suit on and I was on my way to work

Is there anyway I can obtain the second license plate from DMV??
Old 08-11-2006, 11:06 AM

Get a personalized plate for $40!

Most of it will go to charity anyways.

(I need to get one too)
Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by kelvin96gsr,Aug 11 2006, 11:00 AM
Therefore it's your responsibility to have both that were originally issued to the car.
The thing is, I got the car used from Bob Hall Honda in Yakima, the dealership didn't have the front plate, therefore I don't have the front plate. How is is my responsibility to have both were originally issued??????

I'm sorry Kelvin, you need to stop assuming stuff and base your arguments on something solid, like a RCW or SMC.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Front License Plate