Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Engine diagnosis: Minor rattling at 3K rpm

Old 05-29-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right when I'm at 3K rpm, especially when the engine has just been started up, I hear a faint "rattling" type noise either coming from the transmission tunnel or some other place near there.

Wondering if you guys would be so kind to cruise around from 2K to 4K and let me know if you hear anything different other than the usual F20C engine noise at the 3K mark.

I thought it was my exhaust, but I'm beginning to think it's something else. Once my engine is warmed up, the sound either gets drowned out by my unstock exhaust or it just gets quieter.

Many thanks,
Old 05-29-2003, 09:41 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

hmmm... every once in a while I get a little clatter that sounds like it might be the valves immediately after startup...

The only other rattle I can remember sounds more like a heat shield kind of rattle and it doesn't last...

I'll pay more attention today...

For some reason I think Gina had something like what you described going on as well... Could it be a Comptech thing?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:43 PM

I'm guessing that the rattling's always there, it's just more pronounced at 3000 rpm since this appears to be a resonant peak for most aftermarket exhausts (it is for my Neuspeed). It's probably a loose heat shield or the forty you have under your seat.

Algae
Old 05-29-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say burn some incense, check your oil level, start a drum circle, adjust your valves, or write me a $50 check. One of the five should do the trick. Did you ever narrow down exactly where the sound was coming from on your car. Seriously, finding where the rattling is coming from will eliminate diagnosing 1000+ parts that could be loose on the car. Simon might be right though, perhaps its just a 40 rolling around under the passenger seat.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:13 AM

Jerry, put down the cigarette.

Anyways, I don't think it's either the engine by itself or the exhaust.

The noise only starts buzzing at 3K if the car is moving under power. If I put the car in neutral and hold the revs at 3K, it does not make the noise.

In addition to that, once the car gets warmed up sufficiently (I'd say 10+mins of driving on the freeway), the noise disappears.

And it's really tough to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Maybe it's the clutch? Ain't no way it's da Forty cuz I only drink the best.... the Hyppppnoootic. Thanks for making fun of me guys
Old 05-30-2003, 08:21 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

My bet is still a heat shield.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:35 AM

I thought I heard a faint rattle when I got my S... hasn't been too noticable lately. It occurs at start up and at idle. I haven't listened for it lately but will be paying attention more to see if I can get it again.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:38 AM

I wiggled the heat shield but that suckers on there pretty firmly. Didn't make any noise
Old 05-30-2003, 09:24 AM

Does it matter what gear you're in?
Have you put the car in neutral, while moving at the speed you normally hear the noise, with the clutch in? Is the noise just at steady state 3K or transient through 3k?
If it only happens when cold, then it's got to be engine, exhaust, trans, or clutch problem.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:36 AM

transient noise at 3K while under power. when coasting, in neutral, revving, nothing. sound only occurs in the lower gears (1,2, less so 3)

i'm thinking it's the tranny/clutch. don't know what the next steps are really.

Quick Reply: Engine diagnosis: Minor rattling at 3K rpm