Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Daily driver suggestions

Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8th generation Civic Si, good gas mileage, relatively inexpensive to purchase/maintain and it's still fun to drive. I'd recommend MY09 or newer as they updated the exterior and reworked the transmission.

I will have second the vote for the Element too however, as aesthetically unpleasing as they are to look at, they make up for it in practicality and versatility. I've literally put a fully assembled push lawn mower in the back of one, with the rear seats folded up.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM

The Element and the Fit are great options as well. Both can hold a lot of stuff when the seats are down. A few people I work with have the AWD Element and love them. Though they don't get great mileage either. I agree with Manga about the WRX being something I would personally want to mod if I get one. That is a drawback I suppose if you are strictly looking for a daily driver. I like the idea of the WRX because if fits so many categories all at the same time. On one hand it is sporty and fun to drive and has a huge aftermarket following. And on the other hand it's totally practical since it's AWD, has a back seat that folds down etc. Not to mention putting a roof rack on it that allows for holding a kayak, mountain bike, etc.. It's kinda the best of all worlds.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an S2000 and 2013 WRX hatch. The WRX is a great car with fun factor. Interior leaves a bit to be desired for the price, but love the looks of the 2011+ WRX (which shares the same body as the STI). The only sad thing is mileage, which is about 23 highway in my experience.

You are also only a 300 dollar ECU flash away a healthy 260 WHP/ 280 WTQ which makes an NA S2000 feel anemic by comparison.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by urBan_dK
We have an S2000 and 2013 WRX hatch. The WRX is a great car with fun factor. Interior leaves a bit to be desired for the price, but love the looks of the 2011+ WRX (which shares the same body as the STI). The only sad thing is mileage, which is about 23 highway in my experience.

You are also only a 300 dollar ECU flash away a healthy 260 WHP/ 280 WTQ which makes an NA S2000 feel anemic by comparison.

I didn't know you guys bought a new one. I thought you were looking used, but that's awesome! What trim levle did you get? I bet with an intake, downpipe, exhaust and flash the car would be closer to 300 WHP. Getting 260 out of it with only a $300 flash is impressive though! I'll have to check it out sometime.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula-2000-
WRX... end of story. That's likely going to be my next car. Can't beat the AWD+turbo, hatch back for room, still plenty of fun to drive, and 25k for a brand new one. The only complaint I would have is that it takes premium and doesn't get great mileage. Otherwise, awesome car!
...And is more expensive and pain in the ass to maintain being a flat 4, but I agree, its serves multiple facets so its hard to beat with what you get, I just probably would sell it when the manufactures warrantee is up. An EVO, being an inline 4 may be a bit more user friendly to maintain and hits all the same user facets as the Sub. The thing I don’t like about AWD vs a 4x4, is AWD does not have a transfer case to run 2WD as an option, so wear and tear goes up and fuel mileage takes a hit, and tire maintenance is an issue. For example, if your tires are any less then 60-70% tread and one tire fails to a puncture, all the tire have to be replaced vs just the one, due to the effects of gearing abnormality and stress on the AWD system. Like mentioned, its a fun and usable car, but probably not as practical. At least with the EVO, removing the flat 4 out of the equation may be something to consider.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM

Gotta be easier to maintain a subaru engine than replacing an s2000 engine every year
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Gotta be easier to maintain a subaru engine than replacing an s2000 engine every year

Really a necisary jab?

You know if you didn’t drive one much, 6-8k a year, having a shorter commute and occasional trips over the mountains etc, a WRX is probably more practical then for someone like me. Probably be a reliable and trouble free car for 5-6 years. Just have to weigh everything out. But if someone doesn’t know everything to weigh out in what a particular kind of car offers, the possibility of being disappointed or getting burned goes up.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Junky, on the note of driving 5-6/yr. I do that. i drive 1.6 miles to work. as such i wont consider any forced induction car for a DD realistically. theres too much that wont ever warm up and thats actually not good for a car.

what about something like an imprezza sport or something if you have to have awd?

and maintenance on a subaru is a mega pain in the ass and it always smells like "burning" when you park
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by street_ruler
i drive 1.6 miles to work.

Ride a bike!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by urBan_dK' timestamp='1361296218' post='22347966

I didn't know you guys bought a new one. I thought you were looking used, but that's awesome! What trim levle did you get? I bet with an intake, downpipe, exhaust and flash the car would be closer to 300 WHP. Getting 260 out of it with only a $300 flash is impressive though! I'll have to check it out sometime.
Yeah, we did grab a new one. For 500 over invoice it was actually cheaper than all the used 2011 and 2012s (only years we wanted due to body style update) that were available on CL. Absolute base model, no options. I plan on retrofitting the HIDs/Heated seats for about 300 bucks, since those are the only two options we really wanted but couldn't justify 2.5k more for them. Didn't really want the sunroof.

A stage 2 flash (for 90 bucks from Torqued Performance) would probably be at around 300 WHP, and only a downpipe is necessary. Most of the money for the flash was the cable, the tune was only 90 bucks.

Quick Reply: Daily driver suggestions