Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Condo garage security tips

Old 10-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condo garage security tips

We had a couple of break-ins in the condo garage where I live. The association board is looking to beef up security by first putting together some sort of plan on making our garage and building more secure.

For those of you that live in condos with an underground garage, what kind of setup do you guys have?

-We have a remote control operated gate. When driving out of the garage, it's automatic.

-The elevator to the garage is open to the public right now and anyone can press "G" to get to the garage

I know that some other condos require you to insert your home key to access the garage level via elevator. Seems like a logical next step for us so long as all the stairwells are secure.

Any other general things I should recommend to the board to make our garage more secure?

Thx in advance,
Old 10-23-2005, 08:57 PM

You guys dont have individual garages at ur place? that sux. Parking garages scare me if i have to leave the s2k there....
Old 10-23-2005, 09:04 PM

security card key to open the garage gate+door
Old 10-23-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, where do you live? I'm thinking about getting some new wheels, and maybe a couple seats for my CRX.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:34 PM

i agree post up, I think I need an I pod to...
Old 10-23-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cameras and bright lights.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Single point of entry, bright lights, and camera with recorders. Having cameras that are visible to potential intruders can be a significant deterrent. Limiting garage access to a single entry will deter the intelligent thief since they don't want their back to the wall when everything goes to to crap!

Reminding residents to never leave valuables in the car is a great help too. This will lower the profile of the target.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Oct 24 2005, 02:14 PM
Limiting garage access to a single entry will deter the intelligent thief since they don't want their back to the wall when everything goes to to crap!

Reminding residents to never leave valuables in the car is a great help too. This will lower the profile of the target.
Depending on how big it is, single point of entry may be illegal. Or at least, single point of exit could be. People have to be able to get out in case of fire, even if that does make it easier for a crook to sneak out.

Reminding people to not leave valuables in the car is a good idea. Also, a keypad or some such should be used for vehicle entry and exit. That makes it harder for somebody who walks in to drive a car out. If it's just a remote control device or a key, it will be left in at least some of the cars. Then anybody who breaks into a car has the access.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:55 PM

Yea so what i'm thinking about is.... and that comment about a parking garages... to whoever said that... you must be from tacoma or lynnhood or any other place where cost of living is hella cheap. parking garages are here to stay, but so are theives.... so...

-recoding all the remotes
-advise residents to leave valuables out of car
-require remote press to get out of the garage (if legal)
-try to secure all entry points. single point of entry is going to be too much of a challenge at this point in time. there's a stairwell that leads to the garage.
-More lights (great idea)

video surveillance is a tough one because if it's really not on all the time, you face some sort of legal, liability issues. and it's hella expensive.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm about to move into a condo complex in belltown. This is not what I want to hear. Greeeaaat. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap civic for running around town.

Quick Reply: Condo garage security tips