Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Clutch Replacement

Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement

Got my new motor in yesterday and I was informed i have >5% left on my clutch. I guess I'm starting to figure out why everyone says these cars are expensive.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a stage 2 clutch and/or lightweight flywheel?

Right now I don't have a garage so is this something I'm going to want to rent a garage space to do or can it be done in the driveway?

I read through some of the DIY threads and picked up some pointers. Is there anything you guys would like to stress to me about the install?

I'd appreciate some tips/tricks if y'all have some good ones!

-Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 05:51 PM

I like Competition Clutch. ACT is pretty good too. Not sure your car. Earlier years had a light flywheel. May have been all AP1s but I don't remember for sure.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 PM

I like comp clutch as well, I've used them for all of mine, really liked the feel, tho they do have a bit of buzz... As far as doing the clutch the first time sucks. It'll probably take you about 8 hours... I have them down to about 4 after doing 2 clutches, and 3 trannys... And helping a few buddies do theirs... I would be down to come kick it and give you some pointers/ help a bit, as long as I'm availible when you do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the AP1 flywheel and an OEM clutch from Honda. No regrets.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Sorry I should've mentioned this was an ap1.

Any special tools that I'll need?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Oh... and should I replace my flywheel while I'm in there if the ap1 flywheel is already lightweight?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moneygk
Oh... and should I replace my flywheel while I'm in there if the ap1 flywheel is already lightweight?
The ap1 flywheel is light, not like the heavy ap2 flywheel. Might as well keep and resurface the ap1 flywheel while you have the tranny out. Make it shiny
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM

always resurface the flywheel. clutch chatter is awful.

the debate will always rage about light weight flywheels. i personally like em. do whatever you want when it comes to that.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Danjoy and stroker (Anyone with a CC clutch) -- Ever had an issue with the CC throw-out bearing?

I've been reading a little on them but there isn't much information. One post said that they are identical when you put them side by side.... but that doesn't always mean they'll perform the same.

I'm about to bite the bullet again and go for the CC stage2 with the lightweight flywheel. I'll be ordering today unless someone can talk me out of it. Haha
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 AM

couple of general questions....

how did someone diagnose that you have "less than 5% left" on your clutch? is it slipping or behaving strangely? clutches arent like brake pads that come with a standard thickness of 10mm~ish.

do you plan on going FI or nitrous or someting? whats the reason you want a "stage 2" clutch? btw, "stage 2" means very little in general. every manufacturer's "stage" ratings are different.

if you dont plan on going FI or some other big power adder, i highly suggest exedy clutches. I use them in EVERY car i do a clutch in. never had a problem. they tend to be built better, are ALWAYS lighter than the old stock worn pieces...think about that...the one missing all the material is still noticeably heavier than what im installing brand new..the only thing id do is make sure i used a Honda throwout bearing. ive kinda heard horror stories about other brand throw out bearings.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement