Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Cell phones in Japan

Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell phones in Japan

Anyone here have experience with a good place to get a rental cell phone to use in Japan? My Mom is going over for a short trip, like a couple weeks long, and wants to have a phone.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM

Hey Jim,

My boss goes to Japan a couple times a year and says that Japan's cell phone system, "DoCoMo", is a different animal than anyone else's. He doesn't even carry a phone when in Japan. He told me that you can rent them there, but have to be careful renting them here to make sure that you get a phone that will actually work. He suggested contacting Azumano Travel; they might be able to hook you up.

Brad
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM

I think I got the info you need.

You can buy a local SIM card for any country that you're going to through telestial.com, but it's usually a little cheaper to wait until you get there. when you swap out your SIM, you'll have a local japanese number so you can call around japan no problem. Also, incoming calls from the US will be free, but the person calling you will be dialing long distance. Be aware though that calls to your regular number will not be getting through and you probably won't have access to stored numbers.

Note: I have never done this, I just happened to read it in a Budget Travel magazine the other day, weird that it would come up.

It also says that your handset must be unlocked to change the sim, if necessary, contact your wireless company to find out how to unlock it. And keep your old SIM in a safe place, you'll need it when you get home.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

yo dude, HT has an "unlocked" phone he uses when he visits the Motherland ...... does the SIM dance w/ it ....... Joan has it w/ her in the Motherland right this second but depending on when Ayako is leaving and if the SIM shuffle workie in JDMville .......
Old 09-21-2006, 07:05 AM

I just got back from japan. My understanding is that there isn't a GSM network in the country, since my Cingular phone did not work over there. Since GSM is the only type of phone that uses SIM cards, I don't think it will work to bring an unlocked phone over there.

I was also told that it's quite difficult to get any sort of prepaid phone over there, since they require a permanent address and some sort of alien registration card before selling you a phone.

When I go to HK and China, I have a rechargeable Vodafone SIM card that I use. Got it from 7-11, very reasonable rates.

My advice for Japan would be searching the net for a phone rental place. My workplace has one, www.cellhire.com. This info came from the AMEX travel agent, so the place should be reputable.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the info. I saw this on Verizon's site as well:

---------
PDC Cell Phone for use in Japan
If you are traveling to Japan you will require the Japanese cell phone rental package. Japan operates its own Personal Digital Cellular (PDC) Network, so no other cell phone will work. The Global Rental Japanese phone has an English display, a local Japanese number and voicemail*. All incoming calls are free of charge and outgoing calls are charged at a flat rate of $2.49 per minute.

*The User
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM
DSR

We went to Tokyo in March. The cell phone places are all lined up at Narita Airport and it is really easy to rent one (assuming you have a credit card). Pretty much similar pricing etc. Choose a package deal (so many minutes free etc). We got two phones with free calling between them, low minutes limit for other calls.

Don't bother trying to use your SIM card or US phone, even if it's "international", tri-band or whatever... Just rent one for the two weeks. Quick and easy.