Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Car got broken into

Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Feb 15 2006, 04:14 PM
Would you prefer to replace a slashed top or a broken window? With respect to the replacement cost for these two parts... I'll take a broken window.
I agree, my hardtop kept these lowlife degenerate fu<kers from jacking my seats. However I was dumb enough to leave my hardtop off for one night and Bam they got me. Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 AM

Sorry, I just had 2.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks. Sorry to hear it Kelvin.

A garage door alarm is really cheap. You can put the receiver next to your bed and see at a glance if you have left it open.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by KenS2K,Feb 16 2006, 07:46 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear it Kelvin.

A garage door alarm is really cheap. You can put the receiver next to your bed and see at a glance if you have left it open.
I'll have to look into that.

Today Amber and I had to give statements to a "investigator" for progressive. It seems they think that we played some part in the loss of the seats

it really pisses me off that they are basically accusing us with no proof.

The guy that came over was quite nice though, the things that he said were suspicious is that

A. I didn't want the car towed(we live on a steep incline and according to AAA it's impossible to get it out of my garage without damaging the car)

B. We mentioned that we might just get some seats off ebay/s2ki (why not?)

C. We said we'd most probably take a check (after reading posts on S2ki that seemed to be the recomended route)

D. When they stole the seats they unplugged the seat heaters, and the seatbelt or maybe airbag sensors? (supposedly in his experince most of the time they just cut the wires)

Old 02-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,439 Posts

VERY sorry 2 hear this Kelvin
Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 AM

A. I didn't want the car towed(we live on a steep incline and according to AAA it's impossible to get it out of my garage without damaging the car)
Couldn't they use a flatbed? I've just always insisted on a flatbed.

I can kind of see their concerns on B & C. If the insurance company is paying for it, and you're liable for the amount of the deductable, why not just let them put in brand spanking new seats?

I'm sure that insurance companies don't like setting a precedent for paying out claims that are financially beneficial to their policy holders when they can just fix the car instead. It may not be an issue now, but they never know down the line when somebody might see them as an easy cash grab. Something you'd never do of course.

Then again... they'd probably still have to cut you a check on top of that for the seat heaters and any aftermarket stereo stuff you had anyways.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SeattleJason,Feb 17 2006, 12:48 PM

Couldn't they use a flatbed? I've just always insisted on a flatbed.

I can kind of see their concerns on B & C. If the insurance company is paying for it, and you're liable for the amount of the deductable, why not just let them put in brand spanking new seats?

I'm sure that insurance companies don't like setting a precedent for paying out claims that are financially beneficial to their policy holders when they can just fix the car instead. It may not be an issue now, but they never know down the line when somebody might see them as an easy cash grab. Something you'd never do of course.

Then again... they'd probably still have to cut you a check on top of that for the seat heaters and any aftermarket stereo stuff you had anyways.
When I had my car towed 7 months ago on a flatbed the operator told me that he could not safely put the car in my driveway because of the slope which is why I am hesitant to get it towed out of my garage.

I can empthasize with B+C but after searching S2ki I realized that the opportunity cost of brand spanking new seats at $7000+ is not really worth it to me as Rob told me on the phone you can get some pretty nice aftermarket seats at that price. Not only that but I hate auto rebuild centers, they are almost always shady and take a long time to repair your car.

My car inssurance is not going to cover the stereo, radar detector, or the seat heaters from the sound of things.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:27 PM

OMFG, $7000 for S2000 seats? I had no idea, that's ridiculous.

That's whack if they aren't going to pay for any of your aftermarket stuff. Most insurance companies that I'm aware of cover those items if you have proof of owning them.

By the way if the car does go into a shop, and I suspect it will for the top anyways... I highly recommend McLeod Autobody in Kirkland. I've had my cars in there 4 times (...yeah) and I couldn't have been more happy any time. They've always gone the extra mile. I see them working on S2000s and NSXes all the time, so they know how to handle them.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 PM

Very sorry to hear about this, Kelvin. Man the balls of some people ...
Old 02-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry Kelvin. How about borrowing a seat to drive it out of your driveway to the shop. Would that make the insurance peeps happy?

Quick Reply: Car got broken into