Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

brake pad recommendation?

Old 05-16-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still run Brakeman #3 pads myself (about 1.5 years now), and am very happy with the combined street and track performance. Despite my car slowly turning into a track-whore, it still spends most of the time on the streets, and because I'm too lazy to swap pads to go on the track, I prefer a pad with better cold-stopping power for daily-driving. However, I've yet to "cook" these pads on the track either, even on heavy braking circuits like Thunderhill - it stops just as well on lap 10 as on lap 2. I still run on street-tires though, and when I switch to race-tires, then I might have to also switch pads to handle the heavier braking loads.

The main drawback to the Brakeman #3s are the fast wear-rate and the accompanied dusting. The 2 days at Thill earlier this year ate up over 50% on the fronts. I've given up on keeping my wheels clean, so I don't care about the dusting anymore. I also discovered the hard way that if the pads aren't bedded-down, they will squeal obnoxiously loud on the street. Once properly bedded, they stay quiet with only the occassional cold-chirp.

Frankly, I'm incredulous at some of the anecdotes that claim an entire new set of #3s eaten-up in just one day at the track. They wear faster than other pads, but not that fast! Either they weren't properly bedded-in or ran way out of their temperature range, or some people have lead-feet! (less brakes...more gas!)

I'm planning on giving the Panther+ pads a try soon, especially since they are well recommended and popular with the track junkies here in the PacNW, and their availability in the area seems very easy. I only know of only one way to order Brakeman #3s, and that is through Rick's Accessories web-site, and we all know that sometimes it can take them awhile to ship product.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
Ananda, give EBC Green Stuff's a try ............ I use them on the street and think they'd handle the track better than stock pads so you might be able to get away with it for now.