Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Back window template

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back window template

I got my side windows tinted awhile ago and have been driving around with my back window untinted for far to long now.

The back window on my AP1 is plastic and I need a template for the static cling. Anyone know of where to get one/how to make one? My search of S2ki turned up fairly empty on the topic. My artistic skills are somewhat lacking so the easy the better.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 PM

My suggestion may not be the best but it is similar how my tinter does windows like that for which he really can't get back too in one shot. Now my window tinter just has some real cool cling like material he rolls off and really neat piece of glass on a stand and such but I am sure anything that will stick to the back window will work. Since you don't have defrost with a plastic window this will be something no need to worry about. My tinter will then take the template to his big glass window and put in on and on the other side he cuts out the tint. Now you may not have a window that big to do that on but at least you got the template.

First step is to spray the back window with some water. Use something like plastic cling from the kitchen and carefully keep the window wet while putting over the film. Try not to stretch out the cling or you may run into a bad template.

Then prepare to take a sharp object and carefully cut out your template. Easy as that.

Now of course you could do the same thing from the window on the outside depending on how perfect you want the tint and how close the template from the outside would be to the inside but I think my caveman directions will help some.

-Chris
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM

I get what your saying and it may be something I end up trying.

Does your tinter do static cling? I would have no problem paying someone to do this for me. The tinter I went to said he didn't know anyone who would touch static cling because it generally doesn't look that great and it eventually falls off.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Noone I know does static. Depending on the cash or if they even make one sometimes there is aftermarket replacment windows that are tinted.

-Chris
Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM

A lot of white printer paper and scotch tape is an easy way to make a template. Just start laying out the paper on the outside of your window (starting from the center and going out), taping the paper together. Towards the edges you can easily cut the paper to fit the edges with a exacto knife or a pair of scissors.

Static tint goes on the outside, not the inside. It held for about 2 years before it someone cut my top.