Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Any locals have a lightweight flywheel installed?

Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any locals have a lightweight flywheel installed?

So I think my clutch's time has come. It saw commuter duty for the 75k before I bought it, and i've noticed an inconsistent grab point for a while. Today it started slipping a bit, so I guess it's time has come.

The one mod I've wanted to do to this car from day one was a lightweight flywheel. If i'm doing a clutch, i'm damned well doing a flywheel at the same time! I'm just curious to get a feel for one up-close. Anyone in the Seattle area have a Fidanza or similar and willing to take me for a ride to figure out if it's going to act how I expect from my other cars before I commit?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 PM

i had the comptech one when I SCed my car matched to the act plate.

stock power i'd stick with the stock flywheel and clutch. but honestly i maybe noticed the flywheel for 100 miles and then i just got used to it and never really saw a benefit from it other than i guess i could say i had a lightweight flywheel.

if anyone tries to argue perf gains such as more mid range or some other bs like that well good luck to ya. not sure whyyou feel this is a must

i think you're trying to get more "value" out of your car since maybe you've had it a while.. honestly you need to drop some coin to really have it make a diff... comptech SC is one true way to make the s more fun to drive - u gotta pay to play i guess in this case

everything else is kinda like shortening the skirt on a chick that's got cankles to begin with
Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 AM

Nope, not going to drop a lot of coin on the car. I have a Miata that I put all the money in to. This car just gets driven.

I just like what flywheel changes have done to every car i've owned. I like the freer feeling of the motor up high. It's frustrated me sometimes how tough it is to get the car up to redline. It feels like somethings holding the car back. I want it to just rev quicker, not make more power, etc.

My Miata has an 8lb flywheel. When i drive a normal miata, it just feels dead in comparison. I don't like how long rev-matching takes and things of that nature.

It's not that I want the car to feel faster, i just want it to feel 'right', and I'm concerned that the flywheel may allow more gear lash/noise, etc and want to get a feel for how it impacts livability. Drivability doesn't worry me, I just don't want to all of a sudden have a more 'annoying' car.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 AM

it sounds like you've already convinced yourself to do it so though i never felt the car to be lacking in the quick to rev dept - only up until i heard the cgt that is. and not sure if there's another car quite like the s2000 which already seems to have a pretty free revving engine.. with this said

if i can recall i didn't hear any extra noises per se... comptech's unit is just the oem unit shaved down i believe.

i think most reviews i've seen back in the days when i was looking to do this was favorable, but nothing that's going to make the well designed f20c truly better. i'm sure u know that it takes more revs to get off from a start with the lighter flywheel. revs fall a little quicker so u shift faster.. just typical lighter flywheel stuff.

no magic from my experience. good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by WRS2K,Jan 28 2007, 10:57 PM
everything else is kinda like shortening the skirt on a chick that's got cankles to begin with
That was great..
Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by WRS2K,Jan 29 2007, 06:19 AM
it sounds like you've already convinced yourself to do it so though i never felt the car to be lacking in the quick to rev dept - only up until i heard the cgt that is. and not sure if there's another car quite like the s2000 which already seems to have a pretty free revving engine.. with this said

if i can recall i didn't hear any extra noises per se... comptech's unit is just the oem unit shaved down i believe.

i think most reviews i've seen back in the days when i was looking to do this was favorable, but nothing that's going to make the well designed f20c truly better. i'm sure u know that it takes more revs to get off from a start with the lighter flywheel. revs fall a little quicker so u shift faster.. just typical lighter flywheel stuff.

no magic from my experience. good luck!
Basically, my plan is to go forward unless someone knows something I don't, but if it's going to impact livability, i'll pass. I've always felt the car to be almost boggy below the VTEC crossover, and I'd just like to eliminate that feeling as well as how long it takes to line up the revs when i blip to downshift.

It's almost like a "plastic surgery on a supermodel" idea. She may not "need" it, but it might be a good addition if done well. Conversely, you could ruin her career if you screw it up.

I don't have to increase revs to launch my Miata, I had the same experience you did there, for the first week I launched higher, than I figured it out and I can pull away from a light around 1200 RPM even with the Fidanza.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:01 PM

go for it