Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Allowing test drives when selling a car?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allowing test drives when selling a car?

In the UK, you never under any circumstances let anyone test drive your car when you're selling it. You can give rides, but no test drives. Reason is that if they crash it, you have no recourse to the potential buyer, so you're SOL.

But I've seen many car advertisements here saying 'test drives welcome'. Are people just taking risks here with their expensive property, or is there some comeback method to a test-driver that crashes your car?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most insurance companies insure the car so if someone else drives your car with your permission, they will be covered by the policy (however, you still have to pay the deductible if something happens). It is best to check with your insurance company.

I've never sold an S2000 before but I would imagine that a lot of "potential buyers" would just come around to joy ride in your car. Probably a good idea to make sure they're serious before doing the test drive.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nearly impossible to sell a used car without a test drive. That's just expected here in the US. Your insurance should cover you if necessary. If the other guy has insurance, his insurance should actually cover it as well.

Of course, there's no law saying you have to allow a test drive. If you take a look at the guy and think, "he's going to crash my car" then you just say "no". But expect him to not buy your car.

This is probably different for an exotic car.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make them to sign a liability form such as you crash it you buy it at full price you are asking for. if they look like a lil punk kids whos interested in just test driving your car ask to see money first even a loan check with their name on it. and dont let them test drive the car on their own make sure you are in passenger seat with good seat belt on and air bag helps too.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by madkimchi,Sep 18 2007, 04:56 PM
make them to sign a liability form such as you crash it you buy it at full price you are asking for.
I've test driven cars and I've let people test drive my cars. No such "liability form" was ever signed in any case that I recall. Unless you are a lawyer or you have one draw up this form for you, I doubt it would have any meaning.

When car dealerships let you test drive a car, usually they ask to photocopy your driver's license and some proof of insurance.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 18 2007, 04:06 PM
I've test driven cars and I've let people test drive my cars. No such "liability form" was ever signed in any case that I recall. Unless you are a lawyer or you have one draw up this form for you, I doubt it would have any meaning.

When car dealerships let you test drive a car, usually they ask to photocopy your driver's license and some proof of insurance.
Proof of insurance is not necessary at a dealership. They have generic coverage for all cars in their inventory. Valid Driver's License IS a requirement.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Sep 18 2007, 10:30 PM
Proof of insurance is not necessary at a dealership. They have generic coverage for all cars in their inventory. Valid Driver's License IS a requirement.
Yeah, it's been a while and I wasn't sure. But that sounds right.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Sep 18 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the insurance side when allowing someone to test drive it, but I would make damn sure they have a valid WA driver's license. If you let an unlicensed driver drive your car, I'm fairly sure you're 100% liable for anything that happens and your insurance company probably won't pick up the tab.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word!

If you let someone with a suspended license drive your car and you get caught, your car will get immediately impounded.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rdizzle,Sep 19 2007, 10:41 PM
If you let someone with a suspended license drive your car and you get caught, your car will get immediately impounded.
There are provisions in those laws for protecting innocent third parties.

Quick Reply: Allowing test drives when selling a car?