Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Who's Up For A Drive In The Adirondacks Some Wkend

Old 07-19-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Up For A Drive In The Adirondacks Some Wkend

After not being able to go down to the Salamander, I make a suggestion that the Ottawa guys do a drive down to Lake Placid one of these weekends. Toronto guys or New York upstate guys are welcome too. I have never driven down there and I know Gropos knows the area well. A friend has told that a good route is going across the border at Cornwall then heading down to Massena then to Potsdam and to Tupper Lake then up to Lake Placid. I have been informed that the roads down there are pretty awesome.

Now we could make this just a day event, or an overnight at a hotel or a full Fri-Sunday thing like the Salamander depending on the interest.

We would also have to come up with a better name then the Salamander.

Please share your thoughts good/bad on the idea and hopefully we can get something going.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm in, for something.

I know some nice roads to cornwall , I did the round about way to potsdam it was interesting, I think going to odgdensburg would be shorter though if going to potsdam then south. I'd have to check.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:50 AM

That sounds like a good 2nd event. The Adirondacks are very good for driving, and they have new flat pavement. We should find a destination that we could do something, like a light hike & view, a dinner or something like that.

We can call it "Upstate Invasion". That'll get those Upstate guys interested
Old 07-20-2004, 05:26 AM

Here's some things in the tourist site. If we do 1 day it is pretty much all drive with a pit stop, if it was a 2 day we could actually have some time for touristy things depending on what people are interested in. Check the official site.

http://www.lakeplacid.com/flash/whattodo/z-attract.htm
Old 07-20-2004, 09:25 AM

Fongu...good Lake Placid site. I'm up for any kinda hike form light - medium terrain. Also 1 day or 2 days is good for me too. Let's see what others can do in their schedule. I was hoping to get this going soon, but I guess we will have to plan for August to maximize as many people as we can.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 AM

Ah yes, the Adirondacks

I have driven down to Lake Placid... hmmm, let's see... about 70 times over the last 7 years or so. I do know the roads well

Cornwall is one of the ways to go, but if you take the 'normal' Cornwall route, it is actually the more boring way to go.

Crossing at Ogdensburg and taking its most direct route is a much nicer driver.

Now, off the beaten path I know lots of interesting little roads. I have also become acquainted with what roads have good road surfaces, etc. I have a pretty good patchwork of mostly good paved backroads that almost completely avoids the crowded more boring access highways into the area.

I am up for a day not this weekend, but the one afterwards would be great!

(this weekend is the Megaclisse racetrack day in Quebec, right steve? oh, and anyone else who wants to come to Megaclisse is welcome!)
Old 07-20-2004, 10:35 AM

oh, and regarding hikes. I can be of quite a bit of help in that area too.... I have done quite a number of hikes from hard to very easy in the 'daks, and I have several that would fit perfectly into a twisty road driving day.

as far as hikes go, here's my Adirondack hiking page for reference:

http://alavigne.net/newHomePage/Outdoors/F...dacks/index.jsp

Anyway, I'd be happy to organize something on that weekend.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:56 PM

I know of a nice way to Cornwall through Ontario that is better than 417 to 138, it's not perfect but it's way better.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure if you guys are up for this or not. But I was planning on doing this...

http://www.vtauto.org/stowe_show.php
Old 07-20-2004, 02:53 PM

k...let's start talking dates who is good for the long weekend that would be July 30-Aug 2nd. I was planning on heading to Toronto for that weekend but that can be adjusted. let's see what works for others.

Wing...to me that car show looks mostly like it would be antique cars?

Quick Reply: Who's Up For A Drive In The Adirondacks Some Wkend