Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Looking for answers

Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for answers

Basically my girlfriend back-up into a car (civic) about a month ago...the guy was outside and saw the whole thing, its on a private road btw.

So i talked to the guy to see if he wanted to call the cops and get a report for the insurance, we looked at the car the front fender was caved in causing the front front bumper to detach from the fender plus the headlight cracks not even 1cm.

The car had 250,000km and its a rust bucket.

He then told me that the only thing i had to pay him back for was the fender so i said if your only charging me for a fender no problem but if you`re going to turn around and charge me for the fender, bumper and headlight well i rather go to the insurance since i dont really have the money to pay you up front. so he said don`t worry the fender will be enough.

here`s where i screwed up, we sign an agreement that night that my girlfriend was in a car colision involving his car and the damage was the fender for the most part and light, bumper scratched slightly.

He turns around and shows up at my door with a body shop quote for 1100$ repair...i wasnt there that night...good thing...but i was wondering if i could now go to the insurance or its too late since i dont have a police report?

What should i do?

Frank
Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't know the real legal/procedure process for a dispute like this, but practically I don't think it really matters about the police report. If you're OK with taking the fault (and paying for the increased insurance premiums) for the accident you can claim the insurance at any reasonable amount of time. The only reasons for a police report is to resolve who's at fault and possibly make sure it isn't insurance fraud (but for such a small claim the insurance company probably won't care).

The practical thing you can do with the guy is to negotiate the repair. There are big price differences in getting an official insurance grade perfect repair to a good enough repair out of pocket. Assuming the guy isn't trying to screw you (by getting cash and not repairing or getting the cheap repair) or is going to be anal and want a perfect fix (which it doesn't sound like for a "rust bucket") you can find a cheaper body shop and get it repaired there. Most body shops have two level's of quotes, insurance quotes and the discounted non-insurance quotes. There are a bunch of independent body guys that will do it dirt cheap also.

The best route would be if you can work a deal with the guy off insurance. If he insists on that body shop it still might be better off not using insurance depending on how much that it's going to increase your premiums. Just make sure the repair is done by that shop if you don't want to feel screwed, but really it doesn't matter even if you are if insurance increases are going to be big. If you have a one free claim feature on the insurance or if it doesn't bump the premium go ahead and go through the insurance. It would be the least hassle way to put this behind you.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 PM

thanks Steve...he was a cool dude when we talked but i don`t no what got in to him for turning around and charging us full price.

It would be my girlfriend first accident so i think she pays a certain amount for first claim so i really want to avoid going to the insurance...

I guess ill try to work something out with the guy.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM

You can still get a police report, this happened to my wife when someone smashed into her in a parking lot, no note. We went a few days later and got the report from the police station.

I would ask the guy to bring you three quotes and make the cheque payable to the body shop, that avoids him trying to scam you and keeping the money.

I think it's best to leave the insurance company out of it, if you can work it out amongst yourselves.
Hope this helps,
Frank.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 AM

A cte prix la, la body shop repare toute le char pas mal certain, pq un aile/lumiere/bumper chez atpack va couter gros max 150$ a shop pis sa c'est SI y pogne sa neuf chez atpack mais pour avoir travailler dans sa, y va juste caller une cours a scrap pogner sa sur une civic de la meme couleur, buffer le tout pour que sa parait bien pis y va se faire 800-900$ easy de profit.

Pis petite suggestion si le dude habite pas loin de chez vous, dit a tes voisins preferer que cte dude la yer trouve ben cute pis yer a recherche de nouvelle aventure lolll
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks for your help guys.

Nick, criss de bonne idee pour le voisin! Hahahaha

Entk, cest quoi cette place atpack? On s'en parle Samedi.