Orlando The I-4 Parking Lot

Orlando Weekly Meet 9-18-08 7:30pm

Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the record, turbobunny is Not me!!! even though i had a turbo Mk4 GTI. i agree with the central location idea but i also agree with speading the love to all corners of central florida. the meets should be spread out and in various locations.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=turbobunny,Sep 15 2008, 03:53 PM] Please don't take this as a flame since I haven't even had a chance to meet any of you
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobunny,Sep 15 2008, 04:53 PM
Please don't take this as a flame since I haven't even had a chance to meet any of you yet

I'm sure that this issue has been burnt to a crisp... but I personally believe that since this is the Orlando forum, that it is only fair that meets almost always be held in a more central location (unless there is a special event/outing).

Saying that Altamonte should be chosen because that's where the "regulars" live seems counterintuitive to building this community, and being fair to others that want to become regulars... without having to get an oil change every other week

Just my unwanted 2 cents
-J.J.
Speedy does a great job moving the meets around. We really only have 1 'standing' meet and that is Tijuana Flats in Winter Springs. All other places we go to, they are rotated.
90% of the meets are held within about a 20-25minute drive from I-4 and the 408 (which is pretty much the center of Orlando).

What turns Speedy off (and myself, when I was CO) is that people would request a meet in a certain part of town, a meet was scheduled in that area-and the people who requested that meet, never showed up. Or you get the excuse that 'it's too far too drive'.

Isn't that why you bought the S? To drive? Hell-Scott (Bandiscoot) usually has the longest drive (60minutes, if not more) and he attends 75% of the meets.
John (Panducky) drove from Melbourne to the Firken & Kegler meet last week, and that drive was 75 miles-one way!

Speedy could take the easy way out--and hold 1 meet per month, and frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he did--I was tempted to do that when I was CO.

Look at all the areas in Florida, take a look at their meeting places/schedule and by far- Orlando has the most varied meets. We do try to please everyone.

BTW--just because Orlando has set aside Thursday's as the 'Official Meet Night', does not mean that you can't set a meet for a Tuesday, or Friday or even Sunday morning. It's encouraged that you do
Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Very well said Dave. I couldnt have said it better myself. And thank you for the kind words.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by zdave87,Sep 15 2008, 05:54 PM
Speedy does a great job moving the meets around. We really only have 1 'standing' meet and that is Tijuana Flats in Winter Springs. All other places we go to, they are rotated.
90% of the meets are held within about a 20-25minute drive from I-4 and the 408 (which is pretty much the center of Orlando).

Isn't that why you bought the S? To drive? Hell-Scott (Bandiscoot) usually has the longest drive (60minutes, if not more) and he attends 75% of the meets.
John (Panducky) drove from Melbourne to the Firken & Kegler meet last week, and that drive was 75 miles-one way!

Speedy could take the easy way out--and hold 1 meet per month, and frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he did--I was tempted to do that when I was CO.

Look at all the areas in Florida, take a look at their meeting places/schedule and by far- Orlando has the most varied meets. We do try to please everyone.

BTW--just because Orlando has set aside Thursday's as the 'Official Meet Night', does not mean that you can't set a meet for a Tuesday, or Friday or even Sunday morning. It's encouraged that you do
Sorry this is upsetting everyone so much... Please don't take this personally... I tried to inject as much lightheartedness as possible into this with the "oil change" comment (notice the smiley?)

I felt that I made a valid suggestion supporting the CO by suggesting the Mimi's near Millenia which allows him to get what he wants and also be a little more convenient to the rest of Orlando. A more central location would be impartial.

You will notice that I have not said that I specifically want the meets on the West Side, or the East Side, North, or South... I felt I was being objective. I've just said central/equidistant location.

As another member (who shall remain nameless..hehe) mentioned previously:

7/31 Blue Martini Mall of Millenia (barely east of I4 but central orlando)
8/7 TF Winter Springs (NE Orlando)
8/14 Rockledge (East Coast Flo Rida)
8/21 North Orlando (duh)
8/28 Lake Mary (north orlando)
9/4 TF Winter Springs (NE orlando)
9/11 Waterford lakes (Way East orlando)
and now...
9/17 Altamonte Springs (north orlando)

I count 5 of 8 meets in North Orlando. None in Kissimmee and None to the west. If there is already a standing TF meet to the north, wouldn't it be a good idea to "spread the wealth" a little more? For example, perhaps a different corner each week?

I do hope that whoever deleted my earlier post allows this post to remain as food for thought... I really am NOT bashing the CO. When he said "I made it for Altamonte because alot of the people who regularly go to the meets live over here." I felt that wasn't fair to the rest of Orlando which is why I wrote what I wrote.

Well since I seemed to have pissed off a few folks, I'll bow out for now. Hope there are no hard feelings!

Thanks!
-J.J.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Old 09-16-2008, 03:58 AM

The only west side place I know of is Ran Getsu. Is there a place that we are missing out on? Being from New Smyrna, I just don't know of many west side eateries that are good.

We've done a Lakeland meet at the Hooters and that was cool. Many Tampa folks actually came to that. Maybe we could do an East meets West kinda thing.

I think Speedy is doing a great job BTW. You will never make EVERYONE equally happy. But if you guys know of a great place to eat, suggest it and I'm sure Speedy will do his best to accommodate.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 AM

Maybe create a new thread for suggestions on places to meet though so as not to further clutter this one...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I like coming out to your guys meets when I can. Dave would do a Clarmount meet once in a while at OUT BACK, that was nice. Something off 194 or Down town Disney would also be a treat.
Going to the meets in Orlando is not an issue for me, it is getting home at 12/1 AM then having to get up for work
Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 AM

Something at Disney would be cool. Primogen and I were talking about 'Ohana once at the Polynesian. That would be an awesome place to go for a meet.

Quick Reply: Orlando Weekly Meet 9-18-08 7:30pm