Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

what's happening with the portland group

Old 09-05-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I'm on the East coast and haven't checked S2K for a week or so now. Life's good, though. How's the Army treating you?

CB
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 AM

It's going very well. I'm at the tail end of flight school and I'm guessing I'll be heading to my new post in Janurary.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a similar problem in Vancouver. The Seattle group is huge and they have mastered the art of putting on a meet. Mel and I were heading down to Seatac and on a whim Ratgirl invited us to her place for dinner. Two days later there was about 20 people that showed up for this short notice gathering. In vancouver, I heavily advertised a BBQ at my house, and we had way more people from Seattle than we had from Vancouver (actually, if you didn't count Mel and I, I think the Calgary contingent matched the Vancouver group).

I think we also suffer from an old owner vs new owner gap. When the Vancouver group first established itself, we were all new owner and the car was relatively rare. Now, the old guard has had the car for three or four years and seem to have different needs/interests in meets than the newer owners. There is a limited number of times you can stay keen on meeting in a parking lot, popping your hoods and admiring somebody's supercharger and sway bar. I'm not knocking that, but it does get old when you have been around for a while... I'm getting old.

When you have a really large group (like Seattle), they can cater to both groups. I also think that their scheduled, routine meeting place (Taco Tuesdays) had had a huge impact on building their community. We tried doing this in Vancouver, but not enough new blood supported the meets.

Having said all this, a couple of Vancouver guys did manage to recently get about 20 local cars out to a meet. Interestingly, they were mostly newer owners. Lots of rambling here... few answers. Ideas????
Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
wos

Originally Posted by ltweintz,Sep 1 2005, 07:21 PM
Will and Chris...how are you guys? Seems like you two and Gavin are the only ones I still know. Everyone else has moved on or sold their cars.
Luke:

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Sounds like you're nearing the end of flight school, congratulations! Here's hoping you get the assignment you want.

I've been AWOL from the S2KI boards for awhile, as you can see. Still have my Comptech-built Supercharged S, and have decided to hold onto it for now.

All is well with me. Just recently engaged and in the process of making wedding plans. Do let us know when you plan on being in town for a visit...we all should try getting together for a beer to catch up.

Best,
Will